Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
My question to the seller...

Sir , Please clarify, you say its a colt copy made by colt?

Reply from the seller.........

the bbl is colt mfg

·
Registered
466 Posts
EMF used to sell bare frames as recently as say 20 years ago. These were Armi San Marco, which have Colt spec threads and dimensions. My knee jerk impulse is to say this is an ASM frame and BS / TG. I have a nice ASM, and I am keying in on the similarity of the ledge angle, things like that.

You could ask him if it’s got a firing pin recoil shield. Might narrow down what it is if it actually matters. As an Italian / American parts gun, there’s certainly no circumstance where it’s worth $650 (I say..$250)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Look at pic #3 [on GB].The forward edge of the trigger guard frame partially covers a 5 letter word or abbreviation and then what appears to be "WA"as in Washington state. Maybe an import stamp or makers mark for the frame. The rest of it appears to be Colt parts from what you can see. Nick

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at pic #3 [on GB].The forward edge of the trigger guard frame partially covers a 5 letter word or abbreviation and then what appears to be "WA"as in Washington state. Maybe an import stamp or makers mark for the frame. The rest of it appears to be Colt parts from what you can see. Nick
I thought it looked more like "WI" as in Wisconsin. I cannot find any obvious non-Colt evidence, but then again I'm an SAA neophyte.

·
Registered
466 Posts
non-Colt evidence:

BP frame, but without patent dates.
Black grips kind of artfully adjusted to go on a grip assembly they don't actually fit to.

This was built by a shade tree gunsmith, from spare parts, mostly Italian. The goofy serials and roll marks are just a bit of an artistic flourish. They don't mean anything.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
non-Colt evidence:
BP frame, but without patent dates.
Black grips kind of artfully adjusted to go on a grip assembly they don't actually fit to.
This was built by a shade tree gunsmith, from spare parts, mostly Italian. The goofy serials and roll marks are just a bit of an artistic flourish. They don't mean anything.
Sure. Dash my self esteem. Crush my outlook on humanity. Just kick me to the curb and make believe nothing happened! My soul is now scarred never to be whole again.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
R3B frames were Colt-spec SAA frames made by United States Frame Service of Wisconsin after 2nd Gen production was halted. I used to have one - SN 115. John Taffin had one made into a gun and wrote it up in one of his articles in 1989. The idea was they would make frames and people would use Colt parts to finish them out. The gun in the auction might be a fine firearm, but it would depend on who put it together.

Here is mine:

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
R3B frames were Colt-spec SAA frames made by United States Frame Service of Wisconsin after 2nd Gen production was halted. I used to have one - SN 115. John Taffin had one made into a gun and wrote it up in one of his articles in 1989. The idea was they would make frames and people would use Colt parts to finish them out. The gun in the auction might be a fine firearm, but it would depend on who put it together.

Here is mine:

Is yours threaded for a 2nd or 3rd generation Colt barrel? Also, even if it is meant to fit Colt parts, does the frame seem subtly larger to you on the outside compared to a Colt? Is the top strap slightly beefier, for example?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If I recall correctly, they are threaded for 2nd Gen parts. They began production before Colt started the 3rd Gen guns, if I recall correctly. The company was intending to fill the gap left by Colt when they ceased 2nd Gen production. The two partners had a disagreement not long into the company and split, thus ending production. The highest serial number I have seen is 170, thus far.

The topstrap on mine was definitely beefier, but it hadn't had final machining. It was intended to become a flat top target by the previous owner, although I am not sure if they all came with that capability or if one could special order them. A friend of mine wanted to finish it out as a project and I gave it to him as lagniappe in a deal we were doing. Hope to see the final result someday.

I am tempted to bid on the referenced gun if the OP doesn't mind. The R3B frames are a little known part of single action history and such a gun has a place in a collection as a transitional piece between 2nd and 3rd Gen Colt SAAs, in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.