Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bid on this 1928 Colt Police Positive Special with the idea, if I won, cut it down to 2" barrel, round the butt and make a new set of grips. Now that I got it, cleaned it up and cleaned out the insides, I'm not sure. For $170 it makes little difference if I cut it down. Is the muddy finish, which has suffered from storage in a holster, honest wear? Are the old worn grips charming or just plain worn out? Notice the little brass bead soldered to front sight? It has great, tight lock up and clean cylinders, with just light pitting in bore. I don't know, I would like to do mods and polish it up myself so it could be tanked by a local smith for about $30 bucks. Would still only be a $250 gun with shipping and rebluing
What say you all?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
I have one old Police Posiitve 6" in .32 Colt NP that makes your PP Special look like a beauty queen and I have no intentons of doing anything to mine but continue to shoot and enjoy it. Mine must have spent its life in a holster becaue the internals and bore are great. Makes a great kickin-around gun you don't have to baby or worry about. Your gun - so do what you want with it. Could just shoot it as is for 6 months and see what you think. Pretty handy little .38 Special as is. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm probably showing my lower standards but that little Colt is a bit too nice to modify in my view. I'd have to use a shabbier example. Perhaps a bath with a soppy Kroil-soaked rag, followed by just leaving the revolver soaked in the Kroil overnight, then a good rubdown with a rag would improve the surface finish.

I have a $60 Police Positive Special .38 from 1921, picked up at the Dallas Market Hall show a few years back that is shabby enough. It's functional but could use a new hand. It's finish is more in line with one suitable for a custom job in my view. I'm just keeping it squirreled away in case the mood strikes me. Shown here (top) with it's somewhat less shabby companion from 1914.

The little 4-inch Police Positive Specials aren't bad at all with their original barrel lengths. They are pretty compact and may be concealed quite easily. I have some sort of homemade, rather flimsy IWB holster with a clip that works with the 4-inch PPS and have toted one on occasion. They're most fun for informal plinking sessions at our lake place, using hollow based wadcutter target loads. Of course a cut-down custom could have a coolness factor about it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like the 6 months thing. maybe I'll do just that, Thanks. As far as rub down polish up or anything else...been there, done that and it is the coolness aspect that has me thinking cut down.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I feel your PPS is too nice to cut or modify. Nice older gun. I'd leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
Excellent glove box gun as is. If the gun shoots good as is, why try to fix it? The square butt helps with recoil better than the round butt. just my .02

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the doggie grips? I would at least like to find some better grips for it. These are the right type, but there is no number inside, so being original to gun is not a reason to keep them on. Maybe they are and then again maybe they're not.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's a fine little wheelie!! Iv'e never been a modification type of fella, not on cars, boats, bikes or guns. But that's the collector mentality in me.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'm thinking just finish cleaning her up and let it be at that. Nice little revolver and funtionally what more can you ask for that price? Shoot it, enjoy it and never have to worry about a nick or scratch here and there. Stocks...leave em be :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you want a PPS with a 2" barrel, swap your 4" for a DS. Already has 2", obviously, and rounded corners on the butt. Any "boot" you might have to pay will be about equal to what you'll pay the gunsmith, anyway.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Merwin2
Congratulations that looks like a lot of gun for $170.
What to do with it???? If it were mine, I'd leave it just as it is except maybe for a Tyler T grip, use it a lot & have a lot of fun with it.
Frank

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. As for finding a short barrel at Numrich, they are sold out and have been for awhile. As to the expense of trimming barrel and making grips+refinish being equivalent to the cost of a Detective Special or Cobra, read my post again...not. I do all my own work with exception of tanking it. As to cleaning it up a bit more and leaving it as is...well, that has appeal. I intend to make my own Dymondwood grips and will show them when they are done. I will clean the finish up a bit to get rid of the spots and I will shoot it and enjoy it for its age and history.
Thanks again to all, you helped make up my mind to leave it at 4" and square butt. Examples of some others I've made grips for and one I cut down (NP from 4" to 2"), below.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got a 5 inch PP .32 recently, in about the same condition as yours: muddy outside, crisp inside, with carry wear on the edges of the grips. Looking it over, I am just going to give it a Kroil/bronze wool bath and shoot the hell out of it. Honest wear that won't get worse with a little TLC. In 50 years it'll be a collector's prize.....or save somebody's life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts