Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a Detective Special (second issue) 2" bbl, and would like to get a leather belt and holster for it to carry concealed while in the woods/mountains. I do not expect to use it in town at all. I have never carried before, and am looking into different options.

FIST seems to have a reasonably priced leather set up with a 1.25" belt and a hand-boned pancake style holster for about $130, though they are currently running a special for a slightly different pancake holster and 1.5" belt for $99.95.

I have seen FIST products and they look well made. I have also seen Bianchi and Galco leather holsters, and they seemed ok, too.

I know holster choice is as personal as gun choice, but then again, you guys convinced me to get a Dick Special over an S&W. What say you on this?

Also, does belt width matter at all assuming one is comparing similar holster belts? (i.e. 1.25" vs. 1.5" width)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have an older "jay pee" black leather holster with the spring clip,inside the trigger guard that keeps the gun secure,until drawn. This is based on the old "Audley-Folsom" patent. Have worn it with BOTH 1.25 and 1.5 inch belts with my 1933 square butt Dick Special,and it carries well. But I have since gone to a 2" Official Police,that can handle much stiffer handloads than the Dick Special,and is only a few oz. heavier. I use a Strong flapjack or paddle type for this one, Have worn both guns as crossdraw or on right hip,depending on my attire,

Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
One point: If this is to be a woods and mountain runner carry gun, I'd think about getting a holster with some sort of safety strap, like a thumb break.

Guns seem to take a devilish delight in slipping out of the holster and getting lost in rough country, or ATV use.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Don Humes have some nice holsters for a decent price. I have a couple from them.
Belt width sizes are for the different belt loop sizes on pants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts