Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase one or both of these nice pieces ! Any suggestions as to which one ? The Colt was offered for around $6000 but no price on the Remington yet .

·
Registered
525 Posts
Holy smokes. I've never seen a Remington UMC that nice. Just from the two pics, I can't see any issues. But I would want to have a micrometer available for both of these guns during inspection. They both seem almost too good to be true!

But WOW, oh wow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I’ve been told about the condition! From some of the books I’ve read it said to be careful of fakes in this particular period of 1911s

·
Registered
525 Posts
My main focus is military collecting, and yes, a lot of Remington UMC pistols have been doctored or outright fabricated. But that one has extreme potential. However, I would still check it over carefully.

The 38 Super looks incredible, too. But I'll let the commercial guys comment on that.

My guess would be that the Remington 1911 is going to be at least as expensive as the Colt. Andy maybe much more.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Stocks don't look right on Super .38.

Better photos of Remington-UMC would help. A lot of glare, but don't see anything wrong.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Here is a period Super .38 to compare, from Scott Gahimer collection.

Colt Super .38 Pistol Blue Fixed Sight - Coltautos.com

The stocks do have different angles of the relief cuts near the mainspring housing pin, and slightly different relief cut near the right side mag release.

I'm not sure how consistent these cuts were across other examples of commercial Colts, but the angles are definitely different.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You have a keen eye. Just below the top grip screw on the left side, there are 23 rows of checkering on the pistol in the OP, and only 19 rows on Scott's example.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am definitely new to this so all the input definitely helps ! I would like to have an expert look at it before I purchase for sure . Any suggestions in the Houston area ?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
All things being equal, if the Rem-UMC checks out that's what I'd go for.
You just don't see many in that condition.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The UMC serial looks a little odd with the “NO” off kilter. I only have one and the stamping is straight. The super .38, in my opinion, looks refinished.
706CAF47-BC4D-48E2-8486-ECAEBA1C7980.jpeg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to go with one a little lower priced and will do some research on it . I’m new to collecting but you have to jump in sometime right ! I am going to offer on this 1943 .45 Government Model

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Hate to say it, but your photos aren't good enough to tell much about the pistol. I wouldn't buy a pistol from just seeing those photos.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$1500 and I’ll be doing some work for them . I’ll probably spend $300 in supplies and a couple hours of labor which puts me out around $1800

·
Registered
525 Posts
It looks like there could be a spot of cold blue touch-up on each end of the right slide on the Government Model. Could be fingerprints and muddled reflection, too.

As others have said, it is difficult to do a detailed evaluation from just a couple of pics in varied lighting. It doesn't sound like crazy pricing, but it would be nice if you could study the details a bit more before committing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts