Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/808671899

Stunning is right, but almost too stunning. Thoughts on this piece? The grip wear looks worn and it has a turn line, but the CCH is amazing for a 100 year old gun. The patent date and colt stamp seem to be more worn than the finish. May just be the angle. Any thoughts original or restored? Ad says 100% orginal.

·
Registered
933 Posts
100% original can have different meanings - beware! IMO this is not that! I don't think the finish (just doesn't pass the smell test) or grips (poor fit) are original to when gun was manufactured. I'm a little suspect of the cylinder, too? Besides the cosmetic questions, I wouldn't pay big bucks for a 32 WCF - but to each his own.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
I would say nice refinish but why anyone would go to the trouble of restoring a gun and then putting worn grips on it is beyond my grasp. On top of that the right grips looks like a reproduction also.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
From what I can see, this gun looks original. Original hammer type. I cannot be certain about the grips. It's a "drawer gun", kept in a drawer. There are some other characteristics that prove it to be original blue finish, but I won't "show my hand" and reveal secrets that fakers can capitalize on!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If spiritlaker is bidding, you had better have deep pockets if you want it.
spiritlaker must know something we don't that is for sure. Looks like he wants it pretty bad to go from 1925 to over 3600 in short order with 12 days left. I with most of you, there is just something off about it.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
All the parts might well be original. Hard to tell without gun in hand to look at the grips. But first blush grips aren't original. No way the finish is original. Color case is off which means they reblued it as well. Imagine the condition of a gun that would actually fit those well worn grips.

2+2 don't make 7. :bang_wall:

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
A lot of magic can be worked with photo tools even with iPads, etc which can really throw off case colors to look way too vivid in pics. But I don’t think that’s the case here, and if it isn’t, I agree that the case color is not right. Otherwise I would have thought all original except the grips .. those grips can’t be original to the gun due to fit and wear of the stocks. But since likely the case colors are newer, probably everything else has been refreshed as well.
... I liked that term just previously used .. looks like somebody “got the band back together.. “and it looks a whole lot just like the old band... and there is no way their hair could be the same color and we are amazed they’re still living after that kind of hard mileage.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts