Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, Patbar. Unfortunately I phrased my question wrong. Since the barrel is tapered I am actually looking for two dimensions, the width of the barrel lug at the breech end(not the forcing cone, just the lug) and the diameter of the barrel flats at the muzzle. If anybody has this information it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, Patbar. Unfortunately I phrased my question wrong. Since the barrel is tapered I am actually looking for two dimensions, the width of the barrel lug at the breech end (not the forcing cone, just the lug) and the diameter of the barrel flats at the muzzle. If anybody has this information it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't now about the original 1851 Navy .36, but DGW lists the Pietta 1851 Navy as having a tapered barrel with .710" at the breech and .625" at the muzzle. I suppose it is measured across the flats but I don't know that as a fact. This is for a .36 caliber Navy. The faux Pietta 1851 .44 Navies measure .645" at the muzzle. Insofar as the barrel lug width, I have no idea as I don't have a micrometer or caliper.

Your question about the barrel lug width has me curious.

I hope this might help.

Jim

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
A late one (214xxx) Rear: 17.91 mm Front: 16.05 mm horizontal measure > O <
An earlier one (139xxx) 17.86 mm 16.17 mm

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have (2) 1851 Navy squarebacks. At the muzzle mic'ing is 0.630" on one and 0.640" on the other. At the breech end one is 0.797" and the other is 0.793". Both have had some degree of 'cleaning' in the past which would account for the small dimensional differences.
I do have a few other later Navies (1860's vintages) that I could check, but you would need to find a really pristine original to determine these dimensions precisely.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. The dimensions provided are fully adequate for my purposes. I'm just doing a comparision of the original Colt '51 to Colt 2nd Gen, Sig Series and repros to see which are closest to the original.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts