Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my pic on the left (original Ace slide) why is the cut there? Clearly can see the downward slope as opposed to a regular SM Ace slide on the right. Obvious original Ace slide is smaller and lighter. Thanks for any insight. Pete

Reactions: stan3

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
In my pic on the left (original Ace slide) why is the cut there? Clearly can see the downward slope as opposed to a regular SM Ace slide on the right. Obvious original Ace slide is smaller and lighter. Thanks for any insight. Pete

View attachment 740790
sturmgewehr,

???,...Not aware of anything in Print (so far) on this. It does reduce weight, and, that is critical in a straight blow-back design. And, maybe, less friction with the disconnector, for more reliable action. ?

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the issue,you take your 1911( mt with no mag),hold in your shooting hand,grip safety depressed,pull slide to the rear about 2” ( so as to allow the hammer to be fully cocked)and hold trigger back,slowly let slide go back into battery,release trigger ——HEAR/FEEL disconnector. Do this same drill with the old ACE and the hammer will FOLLOW the slide and STOP at half cock.
Obviously from looking at the cut the “ disconnector “ will be popped up in the frame which allows the trigger to be pulled,EVEN if the slide is not all the way forward,in battery! I don’t believe it’s a safety issue but strange,nonetheless. Am I missing something obvious?Any thoughts??? Pete

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
The Ace has a shorter slide that has metal removed from inside the slide in about every possible place in order it to lighten it so it will function as a pure blow back action. The sole purpose of the cuts is to reduce the weight of the slide. Note the roller wheel to reduce friction when the slide is cocking the hammer. The internal machining on an Ace slide is a work of art.

The Ace has a very light recoil spring and a stack of leather washers on the recoil spring guide in order to cushion the impact on the paper-thin slide when it reaches the rear of its travel under recoil.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Here is the issue,you take your 1911( mt with no mag),hold in your shooting hand,grip safety depressed,pull slide to the rear about 2” ( so as to allow the hammer to be fully cocked)and hold trigger back,slowly let slide go back into battery,release trigger ——HEAR/FEEL disconnector. Do this same drill with the old ACE and the hammer will FOLLOW the slide and STOP at half cock.
Obviously from looking at the cut the “ disconnector “ will be popped up in the frame which allows the trigger to be pulled,EVEN if the slide is not all the way forward,in battery! I don’t believe it’s a safety issue but strange,nonetheless. Am I missing something obvious?Any thoughts??? Pete
sturmgewehr,

Well, No more thoughts on WHY,...However, have examined two Prewar ACE Pistols that have an old after-market Trigger Lock installed under the left grip. (It is Not visible, except looking in/up the mag well.) The lock has a pin that protrudes into the side rail of the Trigger. It is engaged when the Magazine is removed. Installing the mag. releases the Trigger.

Presume this is the Slide on your ACE 553X. ?

You got me looking in the neighborhood on this subject,...wonder if it is Covered in that Unpublished Book ?

Checked several Prewar and one Pre-Postwar ACE Pistols. ACE 9X, Does Not have this taper. ACE 1090X (the pre-post), Has It. Then, went to one in the middle, ACE 564X, Has It. Next, ACE 319X, Does Not have this Taper. So, then checked ACE 494X, it Has It.

Looks like This CUT started between ACE 319X and ACE 494X,...Can anyone narrow this down some more !? (Most likely, there is not a distinct serial number for the change.)

Best Regards,

P.S. On the Leather washers/spacers on the Recoil Spring Guide,...IIRC the ACE shipped with 8 of these spacers, and although it is not covered in the original Instructions, some believe these spacers are used to tune that ACE to the Ammunition being used. (Enough energy to complete the ejection process, and then enough energy in the compressed spring to chamber the next round and go into battery.) Many of the examined ACE Pistols are using 6 of these spacers.

P.P.S. Here's some old pics (on file) of ACE slides with the taper (on right) and without (left). (They have their typical early and late Ejectors and Barrels. Also, note the early and later [larger] cut-outs at the ejection ports,...even more reduction in weight.)

ace ejectors an CC 018 (2).JPG

ace ejectors an CC 025-4 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
31XX does not have the cut. It still has eight washers.

I am thinking the cut could be so that the hammer will not be riding on the underside of the slide once the slide recoils far enough, thus eliminating the friction of the hammer on that area, making it easier for the slide to complete its cycle.

The weight reduction gained by removing that tiny bit of metal would be small, but every little bit helps. The bit of weight reduction, coupled with the elimination of the friction from the hammer due to the cut, might have been intended to make blow back operation more reliable.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
"wonder if it is Covered in that Unpublished Book ?"
I'm still hopeful that this book gets published.
Excellent info Stan!!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow,some great insight,especially with references to actual serial numbers with the difference clearly pointed out. This is how we learn! Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts