Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When pricing Pythons, how much is the original box and papers worth? When they grade a gun on percentage, does it include the box? If so, how much percent is the box worth. This is from gun Blue Book of Gun Values for 79 to 96 blue guns but does not say if it includes the box.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
When the piece is graded on a percentage, it's the percentage of its finish - 'not' the shape of the cardboard and styrofoam.

There are so many fake boxes today - with more being made - that many don't care one way or another and don't ascribe the asking 'added value' to them, and stick to buying the piece in the condition it's found in - a version of the old 'Buy the Gun - Not the Story'.

·
Registered
453 Posts
on a vintage python....before the new ones came out a original python with the original serialized box that matches it makeing it a complete package on a run of the mill blue python it added about 10-15% to the package value........with the new pythons out now i havent been following the prices as closely but i suspect the percentage is still the same for THE original box

·
Registered
260 Posts
From what I've seen, a legit original box with all papers usually adds $200-300 in extra value. Also gives confidence to buyer that gun is in original condition especially if it's being sold as LNIB or NIB.

·
Registered
531 Posts
As dogface6 stated, there are too many unscrupulous sellers using fake boxes. 90-95% of the time I price the gun WITHOUT the box if purchasing online and, if in person, 50-60% of the time I include the price of a box IF I can handle and inspect it. The key is research which this Forum provides through searching and asking...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts