Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at 2 potential purchases. Only one may be finalized. Both are within $100 of one another in cost.

First is a mid 1970s Government Model, blued 70 Series. Looks original, not molested / modified, normal wear and tear for age.

Second is an Argentine 1927, made on Colt equipment in the late 1930s. Has been parkerized over original bluing, but all markings seem in good shape and frame, slide, and barrel numbers match, but magazine does not.

Which would be the better investment and why?

Thanks for looking.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
I have both and would take the Series 70 over the Argentine any day. If the price of the two is that close they are asking way too much for the Argentine or not near enough for the Series 70. Both are good guns, never had a problem with either one but one IS a Colt and the other is made on Colt machinery. I gave $125 fifty years ago for the 70 series and $325 six years ago for the Argentine. All things being equal the Series 70 should always be worth considerably more than the non Colt made gun. What is the asking price on the Colt if you don't mind my asking?

If it were one of the original first run guns that were actually made by Colt in the Colt factory I would try to figure a way to buy both even though the Argentine marked gun has been refinished. My gun is a 1950's built system 27 , built for a police force somewhere in Argentina and is a good gun but it's not a Colt.

Here is a link to a thread on The High Road that includes a serial number list so you might be able to date the gun your looking at.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both are just under $1K. I checked the Argentine S/N and it was actually made in the late 1940s. AFAIK, it also had no import stamps / markings. I was actually looking for an earlier Colt Commercial ("C" suffix on S/N) when I found out about these.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Just my opinion but that's a lot too much for the Argentine. They might be bringing that kind of money right now but I doubt they will still be doing it a few years down the road.

· Registered
255 Posts
I have always thought of the Argies as the best 'clones' on the market, though in recent years the Rock Island (Armscor) and Tias both produce nice guns, and are good value for the price.

If the price is within $100 I would go with the Colt. I think it will appreciate more than any other brand.

FWIW

Chuck

Just my opinion but that's a lot too much for the Argentine. They might be bringing that kind of money right now but I doubt they will still be doing it a few years down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.