Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Can you help me verify the authenticity of this pistol? Picked up from a family friends widow. And no I didn’t take the Brillo pad to it it was like this when I found it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wouldn't that be nice? If you could find an original Colt Walker and make a hondo grand just like that?

But no, this gun has some age perhaps, but totally reproduction.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thank you for the info. What gives it away?
Sorry to say, but just about everything from its construction, to the engraving on it, to the fabrication of the parts, to the patina and color - just about everything is very wrong on this hunka-hunka-metal. There were only 1,100 Walkers made, and only about 100-150 survive, and so given how strong the demand is for the advanced collector to snag one, I think the chances of a never-before-known Walker marching out of the woodwork today is slim to say the least.

The last Walker that did that was a couple of years ago, when the family of an old timer with Alzheimer pulled his safety deposit box and found a Walker inside, along with a couple of WWII pistols. This happened in Montgomery County, PA, and the history of the gun could be traced to 1943 when it was bought by a collector, then into the 1960s when the gun was featured in Mr. Flayderman's catalogues. Then, the gun was lost, until he was found in the safety deposit box. No one knows how or why. Maybe Perry Mason should investigate this one - is anyone missing their Walker?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you want to compare and contrast an original, high-finish Walker to yours, here are some photos of the one in the MET collection. This one would easily be a $2 million gun if it was ever sold. Unfortunately, all us mortals can do is ogle it and dream on...
58.171.1_001feb2015.jpg
58.171.1_002feb2015.jpg
58.171.1_003feb2015.jpg
58.171.1_004feb2015.jpg
58.171.1_005feb2015.jpg
58.171.1_006feb2015.jpg
58.171.1_007feb2015.jpg
58.171.1_008feb2015.jpg

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't know anything about them, but from the 8 pic's above, I'd say that one is a fake, just look's to good to be true.
If some one at a gun show offered it to you for say $15,000 would you buy it ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
File marks and no serial # on trigger guard along with " B Company # 37" on every part ? I'm surprised its not stamped CSA or Gen. Geo. CUSTER also.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Me? Well, I suppose it depends on who offered it to me... I guess first, I would shit my pants. Then, after wiping myself, and if it was a dealer who offered me the gun, then yes, yes I'd buy this gun, and ask for a receipt. But if it was just a collector who walked the gun into the show, then no, I wouldn't buy it. But I wouldn't buy it because I'd be doing the guy a horrible injustice. What I'd tell the guy is, "look pal, you don't know this yet, but what you have here is a $2 million ++ gun. So please, put it back in that wool sock, and tuck it back in your Piggly-Wiggly plastic bag, and go put this gun in a bank safe, after you call your insurance agent and get it insured." Then, I'd tell him to alert a couple of reputable auctioneers and have a couple of top appraisers evaluate the gun. That's what I'd do...

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Take the stocks off and you might find where Pancho Villa scratched his name in it.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
I have an Armi San Marco Walker reproduction in my safe that looks the same, except all of it's original finish is present. That is probably an early San Marco, which has the Sam'l Colt roll marking - before Colt "persuaded" them to stop that.

Reactions: Jhash0221

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's another Walker - you folks like it at $100,000?

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, no takers at $100k? Must not be rich pastures in this here forum.... 😉

This Walker is a clever reproduction. Sure does look the part, don't it?

·
Registered
999 Posts
EastCoastColt, I thought it was real but if I was a buyer I would never buy something like that without consulting an expert. Now that I know it's not real I can see the barrel address has some crooked letters, gripframe shape is wrong and I think the recoil shields are proportionally too small. Probably many other differences as well. For a repro it is very good though.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
If you're thinking about entering into 'this' game, best buy (and read) some serious reference books and start saving up - this game's played by 'Big Boy's Rules', and they expect you to know and understand the field - and if you show up unprepared, then you're legitimate prey.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
So, no takers at $100k? Must not be rich pastures in this here forum.... 😉

This Walker is a clever reproduction. Sure does look the part, don't it?
Different metals age differently, and at different rates. This "example" seems to have identical aging on every surface, almost like the aging happened overnight, or in a few weeks.

(Alarm bells)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts