Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I’ve got an option on a an early model blued Delta Elite.

Is it possible for a good gunsmith to do the modification to the slide stop cutout on the frame or should I just ‘download’ ammo slightly and keep the gun original?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
I don't see why a good gunsmith cannot machine cut the window for the slide stop to eliminate the potential for the frame to crack. As far as affecting the value that's up to a potential buyer. As far as downloading the round, why buy a 10mm pistol when all you're going to do is load it as a .40 SW?

My understanding is that even if a crack does appear, it doesn't affect reliability or safety. Are you sure it's an early enough Delta it might develop a frame crack? Just because it's blue doesn't mean it's necessarily one of the affected Deltas.

Reactions: nowinca

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Snidely. Perhaps I should get an approximate date.

The modification is inside the frame right?

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
It is on the frame. The first pic is a 1911 prior to the mod...

IMG_0199.jpg

Here is the problem was solved and it's done across the 1911 line to simplify production...

bluess.jpg

Reactions: wolfcoln

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Looks like something a sure hand and Swiss needle files could do.
It seems like the crack only does what the gunsmith does more neatly.

Reactions: nowinca and ei8ht

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. I bought the gun.

I’m going to get a few more photos tomorrow. If it’s an early model and as mint as the seller described then I may leave it untouched.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
I have heard about this, what was Colt's solution to this? Would they modify early guns? Early Norma produced ammo published impressive ballistics and it appears factory ammo now is downloaded from that. Every time I consider getting one of these, I talk myself out of it because of getting free 40 S&W brass.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
The 10mm is an awesome round and fun to shoot. If you like the .45 ACP you'll like the 10mm just as much. The .40...while a good caliber...is on the downslide popularity-wise. Law enforcement has moved away from it as 9mm technology has improved. You see a lot of .40 ammunition on the market now at cheap prices since its popularity is down.

If you look at the two photos posted above you'll see what Colt did to alleviate the cracking problem...completely open up the slide stop window which corrected the issue.

I don't see why Colt wouldn't do the correction on an early Delta but the issue is time...their service department is very slow.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
That's work that can be done by 'you' - just tape off the sides to avoid any scratches - or by a good machinist.

Touch up the bare metal with a 'good' cold blue and a toothpick, and 'waa-laa!' - you're all set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd just leave it as is. There's no guarantee that it'll ever crack and no need to fix a problem that isn't until it is. Keep a close watch on the area and if it does crack, then open it up in the same way that Colt did in later versions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts