Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to determine if this has been refinished. It is a mid 60's and the serial #'s all match, including the sideplate.
The edges look sharp to me. There is a non-flush fit on the lower edge of the sideplate, and the bluing of the sideplate is different than the rest.

Thoughts please!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
It looks like someone tried to pry the sideplate off.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can live with that - it's a proper, snug fit all around- not too tight/loose.

BTW, good Jefferson quote. Thanks

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I suppose there can be variaion in the finish on 2 pieces of the same gun, as if
the surface prep or heat treatment was off just a smidge, or if the actual steel
was from a different batch, and took the prep and treatment differently.
Jes' sayin'.
Somebody didn't know how to remove and re-install a sideplate, but that doesn't necessarily translate to 'bubbafied beyond recognition' and needed replacement. But it might mean precisely that.
A metallurgist could be of some help here.
I think that thing is a fine revolver, indeed, and I would be a grinnin' fool if it was mine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Very attractive piece! But, in addition to the comments about the sideplate, and in response to your question about a re-finish, the rear legs and tail of the Rampant Colt look thinner than the rest, suggesting a possible re-finish (IMO).

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was wondering about the Rampant Colt. I was thinking that if it were a light strike at the bottom, wouldn't it be deeper at the top, with maybe a bit of "splash"? Or could it just be a light strike?
All observations are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have seen side plates with different finish even though they were correct for the gun. Since you state that the side plate is serial numbered to the gun I suspect that it was blued in a different blueing bath then the rest of the gun. Or someone refinished the plate at some point. You will probably never really know for sure.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Do you suppose the sideplate is foreign to the gun? Could be a prior owner had his name engraved on the sideplate and another was fitted up. I have s&w 27-2 that I had smith engrave my name on the sideplate. Were I to sell it, it would sell faster and for more with a new one unless I get to be a hero real soon.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,542 Posts
The serial number inside the side plates is usually deeply stamped so if it was removed or altered it would almost certainly be easy to detect.

The color of the side plate and the frame should be an exact match. Colt was totally aware that different steel or hardness could affect color so they made sure everything matched.

I think the Pony stamp is just a light impression on one end.
The gun does not look to be re-blued to me, it's just that someone damaged the bottom pf the side plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts