Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,085 Posts
As I recall, the only smooth "D" frame grips Colt used were on some 1980's models like the unpolished guns made during the Colt strike of the mid-1980's.
These had no colt medallion and no checkering, BUT they didn't have brass or silver screw bushings. They usually had a dull oil type finish, not a surface finish.

Pre-war grips did have brass or nickel bushings, but they also had silver Colt medallions and checkering, so even if the checkering was sanded off the medallions would still be there.

Best guess: Not Colt grips.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I have to agree with DFW (even though he hates me because I have a Soviet AKS-74U:)).
The grips (or stocks if you will) are not factory for that gun. Factory grips were always checkered walnut for the D.S. during the most of it's production life, and these grips don't look like walnut to me.
However, they appear to be attractive and if the price is right for the gun you can find a set of nice condition original checkered post war walnut grips pretty easily. The price range should be about $35-$60 depending on the greed of the seller:cool:

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The complete text for the local ad, minus phone #: "WTS Original 1965 Colt Detective Special all original 6 shot .38special 98% a safe queen. $750 OBO"

Additional image:

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
IMHO, it would have to be a new condition 1965 DS with the original box to be worth $750.
Depending on where one lives, in the current market this is a $400-$550 gun with replacement stocks and no box. A 1965 DS would definitely have checkered walnut stocks like the nice example that Bill posted the picture of.
The cosmetic condition appears good from what I can see in the pictures.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The smooth stocks were originally used on the matte Agents in the mid 80s. They were apparently also put on some subsequent Detective Specials and I believe even clean up Vipers. However, they did indeed have gold medallions and a one-piece spacer on the bottom. :)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,085 Posts
Malysh:

Not only do I hate you, every time I think about you shooting your AKSU, I have thoughts of murder.

You could at least post more pictures of it.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Malysh:

Not only do I hate you, every time I think about you shooting your AKSU, I have thoughts of murder.

You could at least post more pictures of it.
:D
I'll post everything I have taken of the AKS-74U tomorrow in the pictures area. I've already posted a bunch of 'em. I think you missed the first thread I started sometime last year.
You missed getting a head start on your jealousy!
You can imagine how I feel about some of the great Colts you surely have stashed in your castle:cool:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,085 Posts
And a nice tip of the hat to you ya bum.;)

Thanks to your post, I remembered that they had videos of people shooting AKSU's on Youtube so tonight I looked.
There's videos of these like total like DUDE jerks firing them.
I'm not sure what I'm looking at, these guys all sound American but I thought there were only a tiny hand full of full-auto AKSU's in the States.
I'm guessing these are Americans in other countries where they're legal.

In any case I had to sit there and watch these undeserving boobs shoot these great guns.
I would have had one, but by the time the kits were available and my state allowed them, I was retired and poor.
I still have a Shotgun News from 2003 with an ad from K-Var. A standard Bulgarian de-milled kit like my rifle was built from was $159.00.
An AKSU unused kit was $399.00.
I still remember new East German Red AK-74 magazines for $4.00.

Why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice in it.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
In the opening image, the Stocks do not even fit very well on the sides or the bottom.

I doubt these could have come on the Revolver originally...even if they might be Colt Stocks from a later period someone retrofitted.

I would guess they are some aftermarket item, rather than being Colt, anyway...but, that's just a guess there with that.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
And a nice tip of the hat to you ya bum.;)

Thanks to your post, I remembered that they had videos of people shooting AKSU's on Youtube so tonight I looked.
There's videos of these like total like DUDE jerks firing them.
I'm not sure what I'm looking at, these guys all sound American but I thought there were only a tiny hand full of full-auto AKSU's in the States.
I'm guessing these are Americans in other countries where they're legal.

In any case I had to sit there and watch these undeserving boobs shoot these great guns.
I would have had one, but by the time the kits were available and my state allowed them, I was retired and poor.
I still have a Shotgun News from 2003 with an ad from K-Var. A standard Bulgarian de-milled kit like my rifle was built from was $159.00.
An AKSU unused kit was $399.00.
I still remember new East German Red AK-74 magazines for $4.00.

Why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice in it.
My first kit was from when Vartan had them for $399.
We used to be good friends. We'd talk political science and history for an hr. or so a few times a year.
I bought a lot of parts from Vartan back in those days. He's busier than ever so we don't talk now.

I don't have any lemon juice, I just checked.
How about salt water?​

·
Registered
117 Posts
$750's a bit dear. Here's the wife's two DS's. Picked up both this year. The 1968 blued was $390 and the 1975 knickel $550. Grip on the knickel I suspect is not OEM. Two DS.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,085 Posts
The grip on the nickel looks OEM.
That's the "combat" type grip Colt started using on the "D" frame models in 1972.
It was the only Colt revolver that didn't have a Colt medallion in the grips.
Later models didn't have the groove around the checkering.

·
Registered
117 Posts
dfariswheel: since that photo she added Badger grips to the blued DS. The original grips are in the safe with my Python grips. The grips on the nickel are okay so far but we'll see if she wants another set of Badger's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts