Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
COLT .38 SF-VI MODEL SF1021 2" BRIGHT STAINLESS NIB. This pistol is just a very small fraction from absolutely ANIB. It will rate 99%+. It has a 2" barrel which is as new. The finish is Bright Stainless Steel. Edges are sharp. It comes in the original hard plastic case. The original end label is attached and is excellent. The paperwork is complete as pictured. Original hang tag is also included. These are very rare. Opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Well I bet you already know the answer.......my uneducated guess is not real as in polished after the factory and someone made the label.....

If I am wrong you got an awesome piece......let's hope I am wrong.....I thought only the SPECIAL LADY came polished.....RR

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Wouldn't the model number on the label have a suffix of some type if it was enhanced at the factory?

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
317 Posts
It has model # SF1021. Most regular sts colts have the last digit as 0 and bsts has a "1". This label is showing a "1"at the end. So either is real or someone did good job.
Either way very nice piece. Do you want t sell it?
Gary

Longstar56 has the goods on this pistol being a fake/aftermarket polished.
Still good looking pistol that for the right price I would buy it

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
OK -- the seller seems to be a very honest guy and calls a spade a spade.

However, this is a really nice looking piece. I wonder what he wants for it?
I didn't see a price in the "price box" just the word "FAKE".

I'm sure he'll sell it. It will be an expensive shooter, but that's OK too.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
OK -- the seller seems to be a very honest guy and calls a spade a spade.

However, this is a really nice looking piece. I wonder what he wants for it?
I didn't see a price in the "price box" just the word "FAKE".

I'm sure he'll sell it. It will be an expensive shooter, but that's OK too.
Well I believe the original post and the two link are from the same person.......RR

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The label is definitely fake and I HIGHLY doubt that gun left Colt originally with a BSTS finish. I have no idea who polished it but I bet it was originally matte stainless like every other SF-VI. If Colt did make a BSTS version of that gun the model number on the label would be correct. Either way though that label is definitely a fake. I can also say I personally own SV3244, SV5414 and SV6385. All of mine are in their original boxes and they are all in the picture boxes which is an older style/used box than what is shown in the OP picture.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Well, my curiosity got the better of me so I sent the guy a message.
I asked him if he wanted to sell it and what did he want for it.

Fellow told me he paid $1,750 for it and just wants to get his money
out of the deal, so that's the story and price.

BTW, I am in no way connected with this deal, just wanted to find
out "what is was worth" to him. It's more than I would want to
pay for a fake.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Sorry, but I didn't realize that you were the seller. I didn't know your "forum name"
and didn't make the connection. I apologize if I offended you.

However, that said, how did you expect to sell it without giving a price?

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, my curiosity got the better of me so I sent the guy a message.
I asked him if he wanted to sell it and what did he want for it.

Fellow told me he paid $1,750 for it and just wants to get his money
out of the deal, so that's the story and price.

BTW, I am in no way connected with this deal, just wanted to find
out "what is was worth" to him. It's more than I would want to
pay for a fake.
I thought the emails we exchanged were private. If I wanted everyone to know what I paid I would have told them myself. I put the pistol on the forum for a learning experience. Hoping others might be more careful than I was and not make the same mistake. I was just trying to have a little fun at my own expense.

As you can tell from the links which have been posted, I have no interest in selling a bogus pistol. The website is mine and the Guns International listing is mine as well. I removed the price and made it clear the gun is a fake. I was not trying to sell the pistol. If that was my intention I would have listed it in the Want To Sell section.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Well Randy, if it makes you feel any better I bought one that had the bobbed hammer and was polished just like this one....

No box so I can see how you would believe this one was right...

I even sprung for a factory letter as I was sure it was right....well I was wrong.....

I think I lost a little when I sold it but that happens occasionally .....

I feel better seeing that I am not the only guy to take a chance on a nice gun....NO GUTS NO GLORY....RR

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well Randy, if it makes you feel any better I bought one that had the bobbed hammer and was polished just like this one....

No box so I can see how you would believe this one was right...

I even sprung for a factory letter as I was sure it was right....well I was wrong.....

I think I lost a little when I sold it but that happens occasionally .....

I feel better seeing that I am not the only guy to take a chance on a nice gun....NO GUTS NO GLORY....RR
We have all done it, and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Took a chance on a Radom P.35 many years ago, it was so nice that I thought it was a reblue, but it was actually original and near mint. On the flip side, last spring I got taken on a German issue Star B that I later found was a post war gun with a fake proof mark. But I'm not letting that stop me from taking chances again, that's just part of the fun. :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
I really like the pictures. Colt made a lot of one-offs, experimental guns, and peculiarities. I once came across a Colt DiamondBack that the seller claimed as the only DB Colt made in stainless steel. Unfortunately, upon examination by me, it was just a DB that Colt made with the "ColtGuard" finish. A freakin one-off!

Im pretty sure Colt made some Detective Specials in nickel, and maybe this gun is one of them....????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure Colt made any SF-VI's in nickel, but in addition to the matte stainless they were also available in Bright Polished Stainless. That being said, I do believe the OP's example is polished beyond factory polishing, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
That being said, I do believe the OP's example is polished beyond factory polishing, but I could be wrong.
It is "beyond" the bright polish jobs of the factory. However, there are eras when the factory did just as poor a job if not worse than this example, and those all made it out the doors ('80s). This example actually doesn't look that bad, except for a couple things that I won't point out.

The real indicator on this one, and only thing I will mention, is the cylinder notch lead-ins. They almost wiped them clean off. Under normal, skilled polishing, the cylinder lead-ins should still retain most of their machining lines. Once those machining lines are comprised by polishing, a sure sign it was refinished/refreshed. The caveat is once you get into the late '70s and '80s, then certain factory examples aren't that much better than an aftermarket refinish/refresh. So it is common to see over-polishing of the notch lead-ins in these eras.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts