Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(SRS) Springfield Research Service Question?

The serial number below is listed in SRS Volume 4 of US Martial Firearms.

The single line reads, "1580498 - 031945 OSS LONDON"

I've seen many people post online claiming their Ithaca 1911A1 was an OSS pistol. Saying it fell within the 50,000 serial number list of which only about 5,000 are said to have been shipped to the OSS. But they have no documentation showing said info.
I found another topic on TOF in which the claim was crushed by looking at the forged engraved serial number on the frame.

I found one legitimate Ithaca 1911A1 on OLDCOLTS.com that went to the OSS (no paperwork shown), which now appears to be owned by a member here. And another one RR at Morphy's Auction that was refinished (with no photos of the serial number side.)

Q.1 Has anyone else seen more / other OSS 1911's? There are many OSS M1903's and Commandos online, but very few 1911's
(I've only found 3, this one being one of the 3.)
Q.2 If SRS was the only documentation one could find for this serial number, would that be sufficient? the most important question
(I have contacted SRS looking to gather more detailed info.)
Q.3 Where else could, or should I be looking?

Thanks for reading and any input would be greatly appreciated. Al

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here. I too will defer to the real experts here.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I've seen many people post online claiming their Ithaca 1911A1 was an OSS pistol. Saying it fell within the 50,000 serial number list of which only about 5,000 are said to have been shipped to the OSS. But they have no documentation showing said info.
It would appear that you are not aware of the existence of the Ithaca to OSS shipping documents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It would appear that you are not aware of the existence of the Ithaca to OSS shipping documents.
Yes I am, and that comment is not about your pistol. Please no offense was intended. I’d love to see what documents yours has. There was a seller on GB that stated his Ithaca is an OSS pistol because it falls within the 50,000 range of serial numbers that only 5000 went to OSS. Meaning he had no provenance and his was likely one of the 45,000 that didn’t go to OSS. I would sure think if it was, he would have added proof. It did not sell.

I believe that 0498 being in SRS is proof. Otherwise they wouldn’t be able to publish it. I was looking for others thoughts and how to go about getting real paperwork. The kind SRS found to enter it in a book. And if others consider SRS enough if I have no other results?

Below is what was listed on the auction. All of these serial numbers are listed in SRS volume 4.

Font Material property Parallel Handwriting Rectangle

I’d love to hear more thoughts on OSS 1911’s. It seems they are the rarest of the bunch (of the 1903’s, Commando’s, and 1911’s.)
Hoya, yours, the one on Morphys, and 0498 are the only 3 I have been physically able to see. Others are undetected or in private non disclosed hands. It’s secret stuff here, shhh 🤫

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Quite a few show up in the SRS books. Opened to a page that showed OSS assigned, and 91 on a single page. Most are late in war or after war, but showing production in mid 1944. Maybe not originally shipped to OSS, but later assigned?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a few OSS Colts that appear by serial numbers in the SRS Database. The information behind the entries is found in the National Archives (NARA). Generally, a document in the archives lists the firearm(s) by serial number. These documents range from shipping rosters or equipment ledgers all the way to a property inventory card which shows the actual person's name to whom the arm was issued. See Pg12 Charles Pate, US Handguns of World War II. Please message me if you require additional details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very interesting thread. Is there anywhere online that the SRS records are stored? I’ve got a few numbers that I’d like to check for any interesting history.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
While all the pistols appear to be Remington Rand manufacture, their date of manufacture varies from June 1943 to November 1944, and being shipped in July of 1945.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The SRS books list many OSS 1911A1’s, like more than 100+.

The question I originally asked was, how many have we as collectors actually ever seen? I’ve seen a lot of 1903 OSS pistols, in forums, and for sale on GB and other sites. OSS 1911A1’s actually posted or for sale?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts