Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Colt Single Action Army has spawned so many copies over the years, certainly mention of those is not out of place on this forum. They form an interesting bit of conversation in their own right, red headed step children though they be. Maybe if there were a separate forum for other single actions, where discussion of such revolvers as the Bisley, New Frontier, USFA, Ruger and other such guns could be discussed without raising the hackles of SAA enthusiasts????????

Bob Wright

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
A separate Forum?

Or a separate section within the Colt Forum?

I dunno...I kind of hate to see too many sub-sections.

Part of the charm ( for me anyway ) has been that 'Revolvers' mean what it said, and all or any Colt or sometimes even other Revolvers, would be 'there'.

Now that we have a separate section for 'Pythons' and for 'SAA' I am finding it tedious or less fun or I do not feel like going to these now separate sections.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
It would seem to me that to do this you might have to set up the forum like M1911.org, which has the 1911 type pistols broken down by manufacturer, custom, rimfire, military, etc, as well as a forum for other guns (non 1911s), and the reloading, parts, etc.

So considering that there are several makers of SAA clones as well as Rugers, etc maybe a seperate forum for "other than Colts" might be a way to go.

But I also suppose that the next step is a sub-section for the Colt pocket autos as well as the Woodsman/Huntsman, and the 1911 /Government Model/ Commanders.

So the question becomes "how many forums and how many sub-forums?"

·
Registered
223 Posts
....The "Any Gun" Forum??

Me thinks it loses its charm with its lack of focus.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Good idea above about a 1911 clone forum? Another one for Spanish automatics? Pinfires? Flintlocks? Easy -- put up an alphabet that you can click on the first letter of the make you're interested in, then find it in the listing that comes up -- something like the Numrich website.

I guess someone will figure out how to present the forums for caliber, barrel length, ivory, stag, nickel, refinished, etc.

LOL

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
One can overdo the "Specialization Sections" of a forum to the point where it becomes not only overly tiresome but difficult to navigate. The old K.I.S.S. adage applies. Offered IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The is the "Colt" forum. Plenty of other forums out there for non-Colt guns. I don't mind a non-Colt gun posting or discussion every once in awhile but I come here to see, discuss, and learn about Colts. I don't want to see this forum lose its focus. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I dont know why it bothers anyone to start with. How hard is it to click back in a half secound if you see you arent going to like the thread? I am a member of another very well known forum and what bugs me over there is all the ads that pop up in front of what you are trying to read. Its far more annoying yet people dont holler about that much. If I write a long boreing book and post it that doesnt mean people are going to sit there and read it to the end.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Suggestion withdrawn. I stand corrected.

Bob Wright
Bob, you're not incorrect. Like you, I enjoy discussions of other single action guns of all brands. We have a sticky thread in the Photos Area entitled "The Official "Other" Firearms Photo Thread" and right here, where you posted, the Lounge, reads this way:

"Forum: The Lounge" "This area is for discussions on all other gun related talk. (The only caveat is) - Please keep topics on firearms related issues."

So really no need for a sub-forum. Over the years I've read as much poignant info on Ruger or USFA SAA's here as in many other forum circles. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I think it's up to the forum, members and admin. I've seen forums that have WAAAAY too many sub-forums. RimfireCentral is like that. You lose a sense of community when there are too many specialized sub-forums and folks end up not knowing where to post.

The is the "Colt" forum. Plenty of other forums out there for non-Colt guns. I don't mind a non-Colt gun posting or discussion every once in awhile but I come here to see, discuss, and learn about Colts. I don't want to see this forum lose its focus. As always, JMHO.
I imagine some folks spend more time here than anywhere else. It 'might' appeal to those who 'may' want to talk about other guns on their favorite forum.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The fewer sub-forums, the better I think.

I enjoy learning about other things, but if they are made too separate, then I loose interest in locating the Threads or sub-sections.

Non Colt Gun Threads in our otherwise Colt Category Sections here, have never been a problem to me anyway...they are few, and usually interesting, and, being IN the Colt section, I and others will read or comment or learn something, where, otherwise I would have never seen it or bothered going off somewhere to find it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kind of sorry I brought the subject up in the first place. Maybe I could crawl under the rug?

Bob Wright

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Actually it's a kind of serious subject - for me at least. I got so many photos in Photobucket, it was hard to find one I was looking for. I set up several 'albums' there and put like stuff in its appropriate album. Main 'library' is Colts as-is or as-was, then separate albums for S&W, Projects, Family, Pix General Non-gun, Guns Other, etc., etc.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm just getting into Colt single action guns in My sixth decade of living.
Always wanted some, but preferred the DA revolvers, until retirement age recently set in.
Gotta love the New Frontier version of the SAA, as it has potential for superb accuracy, due to the adjustable sights.
Got one, now I'm hungry for a Colt SA steel-framed 22 LR, and/or possibly a Custom Shop 38 special SAA (round top, or NF adj sighted).

Guess I'm just a bit off-topic, so yeah, let's talk briefly about Rugers, USFA, and other SAA knock-offs (every now and then), but mainly, let's preserve the Legacy of Colonel Sam Colt's revolver.
That's what We're here for!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts