Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We started our trek to Denver on Wednesday of last week to attend the annual Colorado Gun Collectors Association show that was expanded this year to include the NRA Collectors Association. I was concerned that the addition might be a detriment to a pure collector’s show, but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t. We spent Wednesday evening in Amarillo, too old for driving straight through, and the next morning started afresh and arrived in Denver about 3 in the afternoon; we took the route to Raton and up I-25. Thursday evening we ate at Famous Dave’s BBQ and it was better than our last experience; certainly not Texas BBQ Brisket, but the ribs were pretty good! On the way back we once again broke up the trip by spending Sunday evening in Amarillo.

My primary objective was to look for a pre-1899 (Antique) Colt Single Action, preferably a Texas shipped Colt or one with documented provenance. I saw lots of nice Colts and Winchesters and I’m still kicking my butt for passing on a 90% condition 1903 Single Action chambered in 32-20; it was the sleeper and steal of the show; dang, kick, kick, kick!!!!!! :mad:

However, it was a minefield for the unknowledgeable collector; there were quite a few “enhanced” or “improved” Colts and Winchesters that were touted to be all original. I saw at least one bad gun sell for $6250 and the guy buying it was a dealer, duh. I wanted to say something, but I didn’t want to start WW III and get kicked out of the show; he should have known better, but got caught up with the looks and missed the “Big Red Flag”, which was a left side of the barrel caliber stamp on an 1884 (serialized and shipped) Single Action; kind of 1st Generation Colt Single Actions 101!!!!!! Another “Big Red Flag” was if the Colt had been right it would have been priced at $10,000+!!!!! :eek:

I spent Friday at the show visiting with collector friends from all over the country and scouring the tables to identify potential purchases. My wife joined me on Saturday and I figured I’d buy something by the end of the day, but ended up doing more visiting and just trying to thin down the list of potential acquisitions. We checked out of the hotel early Sunday morning, had breakfast, and we were back in the show at 8am, bought what I decided on at 10am, and began the drive home at 11am. Here is the Colt Single Action that I brought home. It is chambered in 45 Colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and it was shipped to Simmons Hardware in St. Louis, MO on April 4, 1893. I certainly hadn't planned on another Simmons gun, but just couldn't pass this one up.

The pictures were taken indoors without decent light and are very bad, but you can somewhat see the nice condition of this 119 year old Single Action. The bore is just about mint with only a couple of slight pinpoint spots; the gun didn’t see a lot of use. I believe the strip of blue on the extreme edge of the left side of the barrel, muzzle to frame, thinned and browned out from setting in a holster since the rest of the barrel is just about full blue. What you can’t see in the picture is that the trigger guard frame and back strap have almost all of their bright blue with some slight thinning where the palm and fingers would rest around the grip frame.

No trip to Denver, for us anyway, is complete without at least one of our evening meals at the Buckhorn Exchange. In business since 1893, it’s Denver’s oldest restaurant and steakhouse and it has Colorado Liquor License No. 1. I didn’t realize until I started typing this thread that my new Colt was shipped the same year the Buckhorn Exchange was established! :cool:

I couldn’t pass up the special for the evening, Elk and Buffalo Tenderloins, wow! My wife had the Lamb Chops and they were great too! For dessert we shared the hot Dutch apple pie alamode with cinnamon rum sauce. Here’s a couple of pictures, the inside picture was taken from our table. The original saloon bar was moved upstairs many years ago; we always try to go early and have a drink up there, but they had our table waiting for us, so I didn’t get up there to take a picture. I’d recommend the Buckhorn Exchange for anyone visiting Denver!!!!!!! :)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'd say your "new" revolver and the CGCA show made every mile worth while. Very Nice SAA that looks oh so much better than many you see at some of the larger shows that you didn't have to sell a kidney to own. Nicely done.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lovely gun - it sounds like you had a great trip. And thanks for the tip about the Buckhorn Exchange. That looks like a great place to dine.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
You done good OC! (except for not buying the 32-20) :)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks also for the tip on the Buckhorn Exchange. If I ever get that way again I'll surely stop in. Did they serve both Elk and Buffalo on one plate, or was it one or the other?? I like em both and I'm drooling as I type! I lived in Denver back in 70 & 71 - I hadn't heard of the Buckhorn Exchange, but in them days I couldn't have afforded it anyway - There were some weeks all I ate was rice LOL - I did weigh a lot less then though LOL

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Very nice!

I wonder if we met. I was there, set up in the Expo Hall, endcap on row D at the door. I had a bunch of SAAs, percussion Colts, Remington revolvers, etc.

Denver is always well worth the trip. I took my three sons with me (one of whom had never done a show with me) and we had a grand time. They got to see the Rockies for the first time and it was wonderful sharing the experience with them.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Very nice Colt! I've seen the Buckhorn Exchange on TV and it looks like a very neat place to eat and enjoy your surroundings.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great looking SAA!
I always enjoy the Denver show but I got a little burned out with so many Colts and Winchesters. Sensory overload!
I used to do design work at a power plant down the road apiece from the Buckhorn so we often ate lunch there. In those days the bar and all the mounted critters were on the ground floor. The old boy that owned the place worked behind the bar and he always wore a six shooter. When he would see us coming through the door he would call out in a loud voice “Hey Mac, table in the corner”.
One story goes that he once shot a guy who was rough-in up a lady patron.
Another story was that Sitting Bull gave Custer’s saber to the owner. Seems like Bill Cody was somehow involved. I sorta remember seeing a saber hanging over the bar but I’m a little rusty with the details. A young friend currently works there as a waiter.

Mac

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks also for the tip on the Buckhorn Exchange. If I ever get that way again I'll surely stop in. Did they serve both Elk and Buffalo on one plate, or was it one or the other?? I like em both and I'm drooling as I type! I lived in Denver back in 70 & 71 - I hadn't heard of the Buckhorn Exchange, but in them days I couldn't have afforded it anyway - There were some weeks all I ate was rice LOL - I did weigh a lot less then though LOL
You can order either separately and they are bigger portions, but with that night's special I had both on the same plate, each a 4 ounce portion. Both were great!!!! Also on the menu for the adventurer are Ostrich and Yak! :eek:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice!

I wonder if we met. I was there, set up in the Expo Hall, endcap on row D at the door. I had a bunch of SAAs, percussion Colts, Remington revolvers, etc.
I wish I had known, or realized, that you were there! If your table had Single Actions on it I can just about guarantee you I stopped and looked! There's a chance that we spoke to each other as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thats one fine looking SAA revolver, gotta keep my eyes open for something similar down here. They are around, but very pricey compared to US prices.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Beautiful gun OC, but that old bar and steakhouse! I've seen that on TV a few times. What a great rustic historic place. "Steakhouse" actually seems an insult when you think of the variety of meats there. If you asked for " Baby Back Bigfoot Ribs" I bet they would have them. what a fine gun, great grub, and a what looks like a fun trip.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Great looking SAA!
I always enjoy the Denver show but I got a little burned out with so many Colts and Winchesters. Sensory overload!
I used to do design work at a power plant down the road apiece from the Buckhorn so we often ate lunch there. In those days the bar and all the mounted critters were on the ground floor. The old boy that owned the place worked behind the bar and he always wore a six shooter. When he would see us coming through the door he would call out in a loud voice “Hey Mac, table in the corner”.
One story goes that he once shot a guy who was rough-in up a lady patron.
Another story was that Sitting Bull gave Custer’s saber to the owner. Seems like Bill Cody was somehow involved. I sorta remember seeing a saber hanging over the bar but I’m a little rusty with the details. A young friend currently works there as a waiter.

Mac
Great story Mac!!!!

Actually, your comment about sensory overload is absolutely true. Unlike most gun shows, the CGCA show being a pure collector's show with 1200-1500 tables, you have to scrutinize every table. And, since I collect both Winchesters and Colts it just adds to my "table loitering time"! :D It's tough on collectors because you walk in the show, instantly find something, but know there might be 1-20 other things more desirable than that one, so you take a chance and don't buy it hoping it will still be there if you can't find anything you want more; then when you get to that last table you have a laundry list of things you want to buy as long as your right arm. Then, you're in more of a pickle just trying to decide. The show will add 20 years to your age!!!!!! :eek:

You can see the show in a half a day; then you spend the next 2 1/2 days trying to figure out what to spend your money on!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a darn nice gun!
Thanks Rick. I said I wasn’t going to buy another Simmons shipped gun; but I just couldn’t pass this one up! It was there, I was there, and a few minutes later I walked away with a nice gun and a lot less money! :eek:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beautiful gun OC, but that old bar and steakhouse! I've seen that on TV a few times. What a great rustic historic place. "Steakhouse" actually seems an insult when you think of the variety of meats there. If you asked for " Baby Back Bigfoot Ribs" I bet they would have them. what a fine gun, great grub, and a what looks like a fun trip.
Thanks Wyatt; having at least one evening meal at the Buckhorn Exchange is on par with attending the CGCA show and finding an old Colt or Winchester!! I suspect you’re right, if you ordered Sasquatch ribs or tenderloin I’d put my money on them coming up with a suitable combination plate accompanied by the right vegetables! :D

One last comment on the Colt, after I paid for it my wife and I were standing at the table talking to the previous owner and a couple of well know Colt collectors/dealers that had adjoining tables. I was fondly looking at my new acquisition, looked up, and said with a serious deadpan look on my face and a matter of fact tone that; “I can’t wait to send this off to Dave Lanara to have him restore it to its original beauty! I prefer having Dave restore all of my Colts over Turnbull because I think Turnbull is more into pizazz than original looks”. I thought that a couple of those guys looked like they were about to come over their tables and grab the Colt and then they realized that that slight smirk developing on my face meant I was pulling their leg; we got a good laugh out of it! :D

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I wish I had known, or realized, that you were there! If your table had Single Actions on it I can just about guarantee you I stopped and looked! There's a chance that we spoke to each other as well.

I had a few non-factory engraved SAAs, a nickel .38-40 with steerhead pearls that belonged to a Deputy US Marshal, and several martial Colts, including a really nice Ainsworth. A belated "good to meet you!" :)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cubrock, now that you mention those particular Colts I have a pretty good idea where your table was. I passed by your table on several occasions and I seem to remember we exchanged pleasantries while I looked at a couple of your guns. I wish I’d known who you were! I also seem to remember seeing your sons behind the tables too; sounds like a great outing for you and your sons and time well spent!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yes, I had them with me. They had a really good time at the show (and earned some money for helping me), plus enjoyed getting to see some sites going and coming. It was a trip full of new memories made.

Glad to have met you. Wish we'd known who we were at the time! :)

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Thanks Rick. I said I wasn’t going to buy another Simmons shipped gun; but I just couldn’t pass this one up! It was there, I was there, and a few minutes later I walked away with a nice gun and a lot less money! :eek:
OC, Money comes and money goes but a chance to own a gun that sweet may not happen again for awhile...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts