Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received an almost new OM 22 from about 1943. It is pristine except for one small mark on one side of the frame, and it is out of time. It will not lock up tight on SA or it skips some on DA.

Is this something I can fix, or is it a gun smith or factory situation. I remember a post about this some time ago.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
robba; I am going to echo dfariswheel,and say that a gun that nice deserves to go to a TRAINED & EXPERIENCED COLT gunsmith.

I don't think the factory will work on a gun that old,although the action is essentially identical to a Python.

So,that "place in Pittsburg" maybe the place to go.

However,since the gun sounds little used it MIGHT just be "fossilized lubrication" inside the Colt,that ties up the bolt etc.. Not knowing your "abilities",a simple detailed takedown,internal cleaning,light lube and reassembly,might well solve the problem

I do this as a matter of principle,ever since a 1915 "mint" M&P Target S&W had some of its "dried lube" break loose and tied up gun while shooting. Just bought a 1948 O.Police "transition gun" today,and first thing was to disassemble,clean,lube,reassemble. It really is not that hard--as long as you don't start with the "files,stones etc."

Good Luck,
Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The bolts springs are quite light and seem to require that the bolt is very free. It wouldn't take much to gum one up to the point it did not drop reliably. Just check per dfariswheel etal that the bolt begins to retract immediately, retracts fully and drops with a snap as the cycle progesses. Check this with the cylinder/crane open. I will find the full post for the timing check if you wish. If the bolt is sluggish, flushing with something like GunScrubber and relubing may well cure the problem. If you're not averse to removing the side plate, it's nice to actually see what you are doing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Replacing and fitting a new part would definitely benefit from an experienced professional. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bud. I think you are right about the old lube perhaps tieing the action up. Before I go sending it off I might as well try some judicious cleaning.

Interesting revolver. Has a king hammer, and lanyard ring, and one spot in the blue where it laid against something.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts