1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Up thru the 3rd generation DS they could handle a limited amount of +P ammo. Daily use of it will accelerate wear. The latest generation made were rated for +P from the factory.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
nbkky71

Your serial number appears to be post 1985 when all published serialization stopped.

If yours has the alloy frame and the composite stocks with a gold Colt medallion weighing about 21oz. empty, it would appear to be a fourth issue made from 1993 to 1996 (your pictures are too close-up to tell). I believe Colt rated them for +P but because of the alloy frame (if it is), I would not make a steady diet of them.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pistol has the rubber grips with a silver medallion, but not a gold one. I was going to call Colt with the serial number, but they were closed when I got the pistol. I'll call them Monday to check the "born on" date.

Thanks for all the advice

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,908 Posts
The late model "D" frame Colt's were factory rated for up to 3000 rounds of +P ammo, after which the were to be returned to the factory for inspection and probable frame replacement.

Because of Colt's no longer having any replacement frames, I'd limit the amount of +P's I'd fire through your new Colt.

I'd recommend shooting standard .38 Special ammo for general practice and shooting, and reserve the +P for "business" carry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts