Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough an hour ago to purchase a mint Detective Special, old style, serial # 797xxx. I don't know the year, but I'd guess late fifties, early sixties. Dealer said OK with +P's. I carrt 158 gr. +P LSWHP's in my .357 and LW .38's. What say you doing the same in this Detective Special?

------------------
Perception is Truth.

HC

·
Registered
711 Posts
IMO, I think it'll be ok because DSs are steel framed, so for carry you should be fine. If I were to shoot the piece often, I would not use much, if any, +P ammo in it.
(FWIW I'd pursue a Magnum Carry for a "shooter"/carry snub, but that's neither here nor there)

Practice with regular ammo but carry it stoked with +P.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Your Colt was made in 1962.
The numbers for '62 started at 797500, and went to 819499.

Your Detective Special was NOT rated for ANY +P ammo. Only the post-1972 shrouded models were rated for some +P ammo.

In fact, many people practiced with standard .38 Special ammo, and loaded up with +P for "business".

A VERY limited amount of +P ammo will PROBABLY be OK, but this will accelerate wear and may cause problems.

So, a few +P's is OK, any amount beyond that is a no-no.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Very strange that Colt rated the earlier Detective Specials from the 1930s,for the 38/44 hi speed cartridge! All the catalogs list this(plus for the P.P. Spec. and O.P. and O.M.T.)This predecessor to the .357 magnum,sent a 158 gr. at nearly 1200 fps. Can't find too many +ps with those ballistics today! Either Colt was "wrong" or what? Should a steady diet be fired? Of course not,not good for the 21 oz. gun or your wrist(s) or for follow up shots. When the Cobra & Agent with alloy frames were introduced in the early 50's,they were NOT rated for the 38/44 hi speed.My 1932 D.S. (Square Butt) has fired hundreds of rounds of 158 gr lead hollow points with 5+ grs. of Unique, a load that falls into +P range,and has not developed any timing or wear problems. But then it was virtually unfired when I bought it in 1992,but finish wear from being a bureau drawer peace for 60 years! Bud

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This D.S. is absolutely mint. No ring around the cylinder from the pall nor any marks from the cartridge cases on the receiver. But I bought it to shoot and carry. Thanks for the advice. I will shoot many .38's and try a cylinder of the +P's 158 gr. which I will carry in it. Next purchis a Bell-Charter Oak Co-pilot, which I use for a Smith 642/640.

Next query. What HKS speedloader?

------------------
Perception is Truth.

HC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the number into my BlackBerry already, Ohiobuckeye. I'll report back.

------------------
Perception is Truth.

HC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the number into my BlackBerry already, Ohiobuckeye. I'll report back.

------------------
Perception is Truth.

HC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with Colt today, and I am to receive a manual for this puppy. The nice lady quoted the manual saying that it was not recommended. I'll give the exact wording when I see it myself.

------------------
Perception is Truth.

HC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I spoke with factory today. It is shipping a manual for the D.S. To paraphrase it, +P's are not recommended. We'll see the exact wording and what it refers to, since I don't believe +P's were available in 1962.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The first page of the manual says +P is fine in the DS. +P+ will void the warrenty and significantly shorten th life of the pistol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dandyandy, was that for a 1962 model, or the Series 3 with the shroud?

HC

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It's for the series 3, but any steel framed colt is supposedly rated for +P.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As Detective Specials go as far back as 1927 I don't think that really applies.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received the Colt manual for this D.S. It says YES to +P's, but check for wear after 2000-3000 rounds of +P for looseness.

So, practally, ther eis no problem in using them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More confusion. I called Colt today on another matter and mentioned that I was going to use +P's sparingly because the manual I received said it was OK. I was told not to for the fowwloing reasons:

1. Colts weren't tested with +P's until the 1980's;

2. The manuals are just a historic recreation.

My recreation is dated 1964. It talks about the ability to use +P's.

So, what's to do? I'd like to carry +P's in the D.S.

HC

·
Registered
167 Posts
With all the conflicting information I suggest that you do what you think is right. You are the one that will have to live with the consequences.

If you are ultra conservative, only shoot standard .38s. If you believe that a few +Ps won't hurt your gun (as others here have said) use +Ps for carry. If you believe the newer manual can also apply to your gun than shoot away with the +P ammo.

------------------
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
clang, my sentiments exactly. A few +P's to get the feel, practice with standard, and carry +P's.

HC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts