Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some .38 Special Treasury loads (110 Gr. at +P+ pressure). I also have a newly purchased SF-VI. So can I shoot the +P+ in the SF-VI? Or should I only use them in .357 revolvers?

I think I remember the remark that the Magnum Carry is just SF-VI bored out to swallow the .357 cartridge. Was there also a change to metal and heat-treating to make a stronger cylinder?

Bart Noir

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
NEVER, EVER use +P+ ammo in ANYTHING other than a .357 Magnum revolver.

+P+ ammo was specifically designed for use in Magnum revolvers ONLY.

The difference between the SF-VI and DS-II guns and the Magnum Carry is heat treating.

The .38 Special models were NOT given the higher level heat treat the Magnum Carry was.

I often got questions about just WHY a S&W Model 64 in .38 Special couldn't be simply chambered to .357 Magnum.
After all, "The 64 is EXACTLY like the S&W Model 65 which is a .357 Magnum".

Often people told me that the difference was nothing but an attempt by S&W to charge more for the "same gun" and it was all hype.

The difference is, Magnum revolvers are given a higher level of heat treating to allow them to handle the higher pressures generated by the Magnum round.

A .38 Special revolver is NOT a .357 Magnum.
The SF and DS Colt's are NOT the same gun as the Magnum Carry.
They look alike and the parts interchange, but the invisible heat treating is quite different.

And NO, you cannot put a Magnum cylinder in a .38 Special frame.
The frames AND cylinders must have the Magnum heat treat.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Actually there are differences in frame sizes between the SFVI and the DSII. Or at least the top strap thickness. I have mic'ed both and found the DSII is thicker. I posted the actual measurements for both guns a long time back in another thread. The DSII is a bit beefier in the critical top strap area. When comparing the 2 guns side by side you can actually see the difference in the top strap.

I do not have a Magnum Carry to measure, but suspect the top strap is the same thickness as the DSII.

I would certainly agree with the Wheel's first sentence. Even though I know the DSII has a stronger and thicker frame then the SFVI I would never run +P+ through it, yet alone the SFVI.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to follow that advice and to give it to anybody I sell/give the ammo to.

Bart Noir

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OBTW, it sounds like the +P+ was made for police departments that didn't dare use the non-PC .357 Magnum ammo. And that the "understanding" was that the rounds would be used only in .357 Magnum revolvers. This is sorta confirmed by the boxes, which say "controlled expansion" instead of "hollowpoint". Do you concur in this?

Bart Noir

·
Registered
358 Posts
WS23 mentions the DSII being beefier in certain areas. Same situation with my S&W 640 .38SPL-chambered snub. It does not have the metal removed internally to accomodate an exposed hammer, making the revolver strong enough for the factory to rate the 1st run of them at +P+, (laser-engraved on the bottom shelf of the cylinder window). Unfortunately, guys were trying to "magnumize" them & blew them up, so the +P+ rating was removed. Same gun; same strength; just no longer officially rated as high. BTW, I fired some of those T-loads in my S&W 65. They struck WAY low, as the sights were regulated for a 158gr bullet moving slower. jd45

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Later DS2 revolvers were made on the beefier Magnum Carry frame. I have one and it clearly has a thicker topstrap than my D frames ,and I suspect SFVi. That being said I see no point in the 110 gr +p+ load. It is a dismal performer ,shoots way low , opens up too fast and looses energy fast. A better choice for self defense is the 158 lhp ,preferably the plus p Buffalo Bore which will throw a 158 slug to point of aim ,at 1025- 1050 out of a 2 inch. Outperforming the 110, no comparison

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanx for the tip on the BB +P ammo, Lawman67. I intend to try this ammo in the near future, Sounds VERY hot, tho. jd45

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Thanx for the tip on the BB +P ammo, Lawman67. I intend to try this ammo in the near future, Sounds VERY hot, tho. jd45
Read the Buffalo Bore claims. It is not "hot" as the term is usually applied to loads resulting in high pressures and significant recoil. :cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanx for the input, A1A. The reason I regarded the BB specs as very hot, is that my Speer .38SPL+P Short Barrel stuff clocks @ between 880 & 905fps with a 135gr bullet out of a 1-7/8" barrel on my S&W 640. The veolcities you state are 150fps faster with a bullet thats 28grs heavier that what I stated, thus my contention the BB stuff is very hot. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanx, jd45

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hmmm - you guys made me look. The DS II will handle .38+P loads although the barrel is only stamped for "-.38 Special CTG.-"

Per the BBGV - This model (i.e., the DS II) featured a redesigned trigger fire control group and is capable of shooting .38+P ammo, however +P ammo will accelerate wear of the gun.

After seeing the previous comments, I found the .38+P listing in the 97 Owners Manual -- but, the .38+P will accelerate wear.

DSII_barrel_stamp.jpg DSII_38p_loading.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts