Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose this is most appropriate for the leather section but since this maker seems to have so many nice models to fit the classic SAA, I thought I should ask my question here - does anyone have any first hand experience with their products? Looks very nice. But pictures don’t always tell the story.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
This maker's based in France - a veritable hotbed of true, American 'Old West' history.

The work is neat and clean, but on the expensive side, as one should expect for 'good' gunleather.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to laugh at myself just a little after reading Dogface’s post...France?? That is what I get for trying to do too many things at once!

I was Googling old west holsters, flipping thru images and found the PLM website. Between folding laundry (makes the wife happy), listening to the wife in her ongoing efforts at getting our Boston Terrier to submit to her authority and my own meandering thoughts, I didn’t take the time to figure out where these folks were located.

About as close as I came was to wonder aloud to the wife if they might be located near Quebec (holsters with some French on the page, why not??). But he does have some very neatly done designs and instead of going back to look more closely, I was browsing on here and just thought I’d ask.

As for the kind offer for other suggestions, I don’t want to turn this thread into more of a departure from SAAs than I already have but I truly appreciate the offer.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Try D.M. Bullard Leather in Azle, Texas. Made in the U.S.A.! El Paso Saddlery, in El Paso, Texas? It don't get more West than these boys!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Pretty much every holster maker uses Rattenbury's 'Packing Iron' as a model for his work.

Get a copy of hat book and peruse happily - 'then' decide on what style you really want, and ride on down the trail.

Some makers - like Rick Bachman - specialize in true-to-the-period 'Old West' styling - others give a nod to that, but specialize in SASS rigs - there's a difference...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
A more modern maker with a good looking style is..

http://www.jm-leather.com

I bought holsters from El Paso Saddlery and they are excellent and JM makes great leather too and I bought from them. JM is more custom work and I love his stuff.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the suggestions. Sincerely. I acquired my copy of Packing Iron about 15 years ago. I own holsters from Mr. Bachman and El Paso and some others. As Dogface observed, most every maker has some variation on the same basic themes.

But may I say not every maker has the same sense of style, proportion or aesthetic flair. Tastes vary, I just really liked the look of the PLM examples and probably got ahead of myself in asking for input (since no matter how much I like it, ordering from France just doesn’t appeal to me [a result of my apprehension of the unknown, nothing against our French brothers]).

I am only chiming in since I started the thread. If the moderators believe it more properly belongs in the Leather section, please move.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm having Terry over at https://www.westernimagesleather.com/ make a custom western holster/belt combo. He uses 100% USA materials and they are hand made right here in Colorado, those two things helped me decide to purchase from them. Let us know what you end up going with. :) I'll be posting my set up when it's done. Hopefully early January.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts