Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greeting , just noticed my colt cobra has a " P " stamped into the frame on the left side directly across the trigger guard from the " VP" proof mark , is this standard to cobrsa , please post a reply or email me direct, many thanks rj

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I've got V's, P's, O's H's, they are all just assembly marks.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this " P " is larger than the ususal inspectors. I have seen marks in the same place as the some " Air-Crewman " revolver .I read somewhere that the these rovlvers were a favorite with the CIA in the 60's. this revolver came wearing pearl grips (ick!!!)but with high back grips that appear new in an envelope that resemble the Air-Crewman grips , any ideas .please advise

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm not sure what your question is. In my mind the P is just an assembly stamp. You had originally asked if the stamp was standard on the Cobra, but you will find them on all modern DA guns.
I'm confused about the "high back grips", I'm assuming your talking about the stocks (extra) that came with the gun, cause the "pearls" obviously were somebody's add-on.
Maybe dfariswheel knows about the Air-crewman stocks he's refering to.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
573 Posts
RJ: I just brought to the top a post I made last year concerning an odd P-marking on a Police Positive Special of mine from 1970 or so. Take a look at that thread. Is your P in front of the trigger guard or at the rear of it? Charlie

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi charlie ,the "P' is at the rear , the front having the standard "VP" proof similar to your S&W Air-Crewman , seems odd,the grips are the high back like the Air-Crewman. let me know what you think charlie

·
Registered
573 Posts
RJ: In the absence of a pic, and with the verified proof symbol present at the front of the trigger guard, I tend to agree with DB that the likely meaning of the P marking is an assembler's ID, rather than a proof. Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts