Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so when so did Colt first start putting Pachmayr Presentations on Nickel Pythons. My 1980 one has them and not sure if original.

·
Registered
501 Posts
They definitely were on the 1981 electroless nickels (multiple examples on GB right now) so I'd guess that 1980 was possible as well; however I'm sure the experts on this forum will know better than I do.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Pachmayr Grips on Nickel Pythons

Here is my NIB nickel 6" Python from 1980 with Pachmayr grips. I am the original owner of this Python and I believe this is the way it came from Colt. Based on the Pythons I have from 1979 and 1980, and by searching Colt's product catalogs and price sheets from those years, I think 1980 was the year Colt introduced these rubber grips on some of the nickel Pythons. Take a look at the box label and you will see the unique Model Number I3661P. I assume the "P" represents Pachmayr. I also have examples of NIB 1980 nickel Pythons that have wooden stocks, so it seems either configuration would be correct.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Kanatak your the man. great post and info, really like the "P" which makes perfect logic, when there is a stack of new boxed guns, they need to know what is inside the box to fill the orders correctly. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Mine was made in 1980 and thats what it has on the gun. But the grips dont seem to fit right.
That is a beautiful Python (looks perfect to me) and has the original Pachmayrs on it. What do you mean "they don't seem to fit right"? I don't see how they could not fit right, unless there is a factory mistake of some kind.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
That is a beautiful Python (looks perfect to me) and has the original Pachmayrs on it. What do you mean "they don't seem to fit right"? I don't see how they could not fit right, unless there is a factory mistake of some kind.
Well im not sure of the right terminology but looking down on the gun from the top. The top part of the grip has a little spacing and does not touch the frame on the gun. Maby this helps with recoil? IDK as I have never shot it.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Last year I picked up a 1978 Python, nickel finish, that sported the presentation Pachs which I'm certain were not original to the revolver. With original walnut Python stocks having approached lunar prices many resale type LGS' and pawn outlets removed these and replaced with a cheaper stock (whether pachs, hogues or reproduction woods) to maximize their return on investment, IMHO. If memory serves there is a thread on the forum that provides a timeline of 1980(ish) for reference as to when Colt regularly shipped with the rubber presentation stocks/grips. Perhaps not much detailed help but a recollection I retain nonetheless :) . I have long since removed the offending rubber and she proudly wears Colt Python wood once again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts