Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired an Argentine military flap holster (cheeeeapp) for their Sistema 1927 (Colt 1911A1 copy) which I have one of. Overall, it's in pretty good shape except, it's been painted white, presumably by their military. So, it was probably used by their palace guard, or MP's, or ski troops (!?!), whatever. Anyway, does anyone have experience removing a paint job from leather holsters? I was considering using a commercial all-purpose paint remover, like Jasco, but I'm not sure what effect it would have on the leather and stitching. Am also considering using lacquer thinner that seems to remove just about anything given the time, but once again, I'm concerned it would severely dry out the leather. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Ooooo, I'd say, leave it be, and, just keep hunting for another one which is in it's original Brown or Tan or Black.

I have a couple of these which are Brown.

They are out there, though usually no one would know what they were unless the Seller is in Argentina or something.

Trying to remove the Paint is going to be a big hassle and will likely hurt the Leather, ( I do not know of any good way to do it ) and would still leave you having to finish or re-finish the Holster...even IF you could get all the White out...so, I would say, it is not worth it.

Start a Thread for "Let's see your Argentine .45 Automatic Holsters! And, we can all see if we can dig ours up and post images.

Same Holsters were used for the Sistema Colts and for the HAFDASA Models.

I'd like to see the White one, see what it looks like.

Many appear to have hung on Straps, rather than being Waist Belt Mount.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your very wise counsel; i.e, "leave it be"! I know because I've tried to remove the white paint for the last two days with limited success. Despite my best efforts, it'll be nothing better than "scruffy". My particular holster has a belt loop and rings on each side of the belt loop for an over-the-shoulder strap. Guess I keep looking for another better example of an Argentine Sistema holster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts