Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tough time picking up the front sight of my Det Special especially if it is pointed at a dark background in low light. I've read Smith owners saying that they often paint their fron sights with model paint to make it easier to see. Have any of you done that with the Det Special that has black/blue front and rear sites? Any recommedations are appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've tried all sorts of paint on my sights. I've used auto touch-up, model, glass, and appliance paints. I've found the best for me is White Out. It goes on easily, is flat when it dries and gives no refection, is easily removed when cleaning, and is easy to re-apply. In addition, it's cheap.

John

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I have the same comment, but have not actually gotten around to doing anything about it yet. WM (and other places) sells small bottles of Testors acrylic model paint. Their bright white (blanc brillant) is very visible and quite sturdy. I have some - you'd think I would do it wouldn't you? White still seems best and I know White Out is also used and I'm not dissing it. :cool:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Over the years, I played with a wide variety of coatings and colors.

Some that worked better than others were the small jars of hobby paint sold in most hardware stores and at Wal-mart,
Testors Gloss White model paint, and for white dots and bars in sights, I used Rust-oleum oil-based paint, transfered into tiny bottles.

The Rust-oleum was more durable for use on customer guns, and lasted longer.

In colors, the most usable were White, Bright "Safety" Green, and bright Yellow.

·
Registered
759 Posts
When the wife wasn't looking, I filched a bottle of her "Tequila Sunrise" nail polish, and painted all the front ramps on my range guns. Works like a charm. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
When the wife wasn't looking, I filched a bottle of her "Tequila Sunrise" nail polish, and painted all the front ramps on my range guns. Works like a charm. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not up on nail polish shades, so I don't know how "Tequila Sunrise" compares to what I use, but I use some bright pinkish-red shade. An advantage that nail polish has over Testor's is that for older DS's, it is probably authentic for the period - using nail polish was an old cop trick from way back.

·
Registered
759 Posts
"Tequila Sunrise" is the same color as the drink, kind of orange-red. I just grabbed something that looked like it would be bright. Come to think of it, I should probably return what's left. On the other hand... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts