Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hope this is the right place to post this, I Need help determining value on Grandpa's old timers, I have these 2 old Colts, both 38WCF, one is marked U.S. one is not, serial numbers are mixed on the U.S. marked one, the other is matching numbers, serial 346182 the patent dates are Sept.19 1871 to July 2nd 72 & Jan 19 75 Not sure of exact age of either and the other marked U.S. what war if any was this used for? Serial on that one is #7136 & 10032 -Pat dates Sept 19 1871, July 2nd 1872 , I am new to these old Colts as you could tell, I need to sell and would like some idea of what to ask for these, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

GO TO LAST POST FOR SALES INFO

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum. There are several quite knowledgeable folks here who will likely provide information soon. You have two nice revolvers!

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Welcome, where are you from. There are a number of people who will be able to help you. Take some close up photos of the numbers on the bottom near the trigger guard front. If there are any other numbers take photos of them too.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't think the one with the US mark would have been a 38 cal. the Military bought only 45 cal. at that time, maybe some one changed some parts on it to make it a 38 cal. at a later date ?
If the one marked US serial number 7136 [on the frame] it would have came from lot # 7, [6517-7527], gun's from that lot were received around May 1874 at the rock island arsenal for the third Cavalry regiment.
You ask what war ? It would have been used during the Indian war for one. you need a lot better pic's, serial number's and better lighting etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will try and get better pics, my phone doesn't do so well, and it's the only thing I got right now, and for location I am in Southern Ca. Inland Empire area, I hate to sell these 2 war horses but I need to find history & value to be able to sell them, medical bills are pilling up but let me try and get some better pics, anything in the mean time is appreciated - thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The grips are replacements. Other then that the pictures are just nor good enough to tell much of anything.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
The Colt SAA with S/N 7136 is definelty a reworked revolver to .38WCF. Your other SAA Revolver S/N 346182 may be all original, but without better photos we can't tell.

Just DO NOT shoot any smokeless powder cartridges in the S/N 7136; it is for black powder only! The newer revolver is good to go shooting smokeless powder.

They appear to be nice looking revolvers and once you determine a price, offer them for sale on the Forum to see what happens first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am trying to get better pics of them, the ones my phone takes are all about the same quality so I'll try again, thus far anybody have any idea of what a fair market price would be for the pair or I'm open to offers, if this forum allows that, If I have to state a solid price I could say $1500ea which I think is more than a fair price, until I can get better pics taken - thanks for the info thus far, much appreciated -

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Before setting a price, try to get as much feedback as possible. There are a lot of knowledgeable Single Action Army collectors here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.