Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am getting around 10 new boxes(generic)tomorrow,what can I use or is recommended ,to put in the boxes with the guns?I was thinking of plain paper like a grocery bag or even wax paper.HELP PLEASE
George M.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Am getting around 10 new boxes(generic)tomorrow,what can I use or is recommended ,to put in the boxes with the guns?I was thinking of plain paper like a grocery bag or even wax paper.HELP PLEASE
George M.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you talking about Colts, almost none to my knowledge came with rust-free paper. They were usually in plastic bags or envelopes or no wrapping at all.
If you are thinking of Kraft paper, that you spoke of, I am not sure if that is gun friendly.
dfariswheel may have further recommendations.

If you are just storing them in plain generic boxes, then I would recommend the rust-free paper.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
And I believe that someone warned that brown paper bags will interact with nickel or bluing, but I haven't searched for it yet although Chevis and Dfariswheel come to mind. I also believe that most store their original boxes separately and their guns in rugs, Bore Stors or the moisture proof "plastic". /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
George, as said above, Colt used the plastic bags for "shipping only" with a piece of moisture/vapor treated paper in the bag. This was intended for 'shipping only' and NOT for long term storage.
I've seen guys use the brown paper but sprayed (soaked) it in oil on one side first ,before wrapping , but again, short term storage,
Buy the stuff that Brownells sell, it works................

·
Registered
17 Posts
This gentlemen "tilmansdad" on Ebay sells the VCI paper which is the same paper S&W use to pack their pistols in when they came in cardboard boxes. I've used the paper and it's officially stamped VCI (stands for something like Corrision Inbitor, just can't remember what the V stands). He's reputable and I'd recommend it. I've wrapped a lot of metal parts in VCI paper through the years and no rust is found on my stuff /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

- Eric

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the boxes today,I think I 'll go with Brownell,paper,any time I get involved with e-bay I get Screwed up. Most of the time I can't even get registered.
Thanks George M.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok, I have a .22 colt commemortive 1970 missouri, with gold plating, It has a wood and plastic display box, and orginal cardboard box with paper wrap inside, which would be the best way to store it in my safe, display box or cardboard box with paper wrap?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
dont know how expensive the vci paper is but a lot of natural finnish auto parts are shipped in it, brake rotors for 1 come wrapped in a pretty large size piece. a trip to a car repair shop would get you some for free i`m thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure which vessel you should use, cardboard or wood/plastic that's a tough choice. I guess it boils down to how dry you keep your safe. If it's kept dry it probably doesn't matter. If you don't dehumidify it and it's in a moist area of your house or garage I'd shy away from cardboard, or really any case. By the way, the paper is probably shot so you'll need to replace it. The VCI paper only emits vapors for 10-15 years.

- Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts