Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I noticed the two piece grips.
very nice.
I needed original rubber grips once.
I made tracings of each side and sent them to Don Furr.
He sent me some that fit remarkably well with some minor trimming
Were the Don Furr grips old originals, or new ones?

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Here's mine. A blued 1958 .44 Special and a rebarreled 1900 .44 Special Bisley, and a Centennial .44-40 along with my old '58 nickel pearl handled .45.

An old picture before I sold that NIB 1971 nickel .45 and before one of those .44 special barrels there that Jim Martin gave me was put on my Bisley...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
View attachment 717087 There is something about a long barrel with a little seasoning. .
Three comments: I don't see many nickeled 32-20's in 7-1/2". Those grips would be expected on a gun in the 141xxx +/- range, and are rarely seen. That looks like a S. D. Myers holster.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Please explain about the grips
This is a 45 x 7-1/2" in the 141xxx range. The grips are the so-called "transition" type. The gun was shipped Aug 11, 1892. Down the backstrap is engraved "J. W. Peyton, Jr.". James William Peyton (1874-1942) lived near Rockwall, TX at the time. He later moved to Shreveport, LA where the portrait picture was made in 1917.

Some day I might do a thread on this gun, and what I know about its first owner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I too shunned away from a 7 1/2” SAA because my first handgun was a ruger super Blackhawk when I was about 16 in 1976. I still have the ruger but with my small hands, it never fit me well. That all changed about 10 years ago when I got a 2008 colt saa 7 1/2” b/cc from a member here for a heck of a deal. The gun is perfect in every way and shoots perfectly to the sights. The balance and fit for myself, feels great, kind of like a 1860 colt. I originally bought the gun to flip to a friend to get him excited about single actions. Once I shot it, I could not part with it. I can’t part with my 7 1/2” NFs in, 357, 44 special or 45 colt either.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's funny, I started out with a 4 3/4" Colt and didn't really car for how snappy it felt when shooting it so I bought a 5 1/2" Colt which I like very much but and then I bought a 7 1/2" Colt. Man, I think I like it the best out of the three quite frankly. I actually have 3 of them now.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts