Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, as the title says, I sent this gun to Adams and Adams last year for some engraving on the trigger guard and backstrap. This is what I will call my project gun. By project I don't mean anything was ever wrong with it, but I intend on making it the jewel of my firearms collection. This is the gun my wife got me as a wedding gift and it is my first Colt SAA.....which started a sickness. Anyway, enjoy the photos and please bear with me if they are grainy, upside down or not posted at all...I'm trying to figure it out as I go. P.s. it definitely did not take them a year to engrave, it was actually shockingly quick turn around, I just haven't been able to get around to posting this in the time since the engraving.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long term goals with it come with some hopes. The big hope is that the ban on ivory is lifted...unlikely I know, but a guy can hope. Otherwise it will get the giraffe bone treatment for the grips to get it as close to ivory as possible.

And while this is a personal feeling, I will never have the CCH engraved. I have seen some guns that look really nice with the CCH engraved, but I feel that the engraving is lost on a nicely colored frame. So, that being said, I will eventually get the cylinder, barrel and ejector rod housing engraved and that will be the extent of it. When I spoke to John Sr. last year and informed him that I will be sending it back as money and time allow for more work, he told me he would start the engraving with that in mind.

This is one of my main competition guns as well for cowboy action shooting. So it also comes down to when I can have the gun out of my possession for the engraving. I believe I sent it out to them early in the spring and they got it back to me before the PA state championship match which was memorial day weekend, where I used this along with a uberti clone with great success and was able to become the PA State Champion in my category of frontier cartidge gunfighter. So the gun is definitely a shooter, and a good one at that!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
1) Have you considered American Holly if Ivory won't work? I have a set made for my GD's python and they seem closer to ivory to me then giraffe bone.
2) Are you saving that much money by having to reblue each time or do they just have to blue what you are getting engraved?
3) Have you considered getting it antique nickeled? I agree about the CCH, but I think AN really makes the engraving pop.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
1) Have you considered American Holly if Ivory won't work? I have a set made for my GD's python and they seem closer to ivory to me then giraffe bone.
2) Are you saving that much money by having to reblue each time or do they just have to blue what you are getting engraved?
3) Have you considered getting it antique nickeled? I agree about the CCH, but I think AN really makes the engraving pop.
1. I did in fact consider the American Holly, and I absolutely like the look of it, but I was definitely going for some type of bone vs wood. Do you have pictures of it on the python? I'd love to see that.

2. They only reblue what they have worked on, but the next time it goes might just be the cylinder and then the whole gun last. Depends on timing and cost.

3. Yahoody has the one antiqued nickel on here that I find gorgeous, but as strange as it sounds, also knowing it gets reblued after engraving, and the fact of being engraved, I otherwise want the finish as she gave it to me. This gun means a lot to me because it came from my mrs, who generally speaking just frowns upon me getting more guns lol...like most wives I imagine haha.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Guns are pretty fun. One reason might be .....everyone can do exactly what they want to them. Partially engraved guns aren't a big hit for me personally but I can see the attraction of "less is more".

Giraffe bone is a lot more like ivory in weight and warmth than any wood will every be. I don't shoot any yet...but I will eventually and then put away and worry less about the ivory I own. Holly wood?! Good one....and decent grips but really, for Hollywood?! :cool:

Only the parts that could be easily removed were engraved on this pair. Barrel and frame stayed intact through the process. Cost of reblueing the trigger guard, back strap, cylinder and ejector rod housing is cheap. Best of all you aren't required to pull a barrel on a gun that already is a known shooter and then, sadly, change POA/POI doing so.

Smart and economical way to build yourself a truly custom six gun. Adams and Turnbull did a bunch of Six guns in a similar manner a while back :)

Well done on your gun Hollywood. One to be proud of! It'll be fun to see how it looks when finished. Sure looks good now.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Tru ivory that usfa used is hard to beat, grain is amazing the bottom is the only giveaway. Oversized unfit can be fit for colts in one or two piece. You can find a set, I am sure some members here can help somewhere locating some. They came in three colors going from new ivory color to mid to most aged. If you can’t have ivory in your state I would go for tru ivory but each to his own. They changed makers but the usfa guys know which ones I am talking about, literally ringers save bottoms and are marked in red tru ivory on backs. Gl.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like your idea of leaving the frame alone and engraving the blue parts. My dad had Ben Lane engrave a pair of 2nd gen in that style and they turned out great, understated and elegant. He added pearl grips and some gold line work on the cylinder and barrel. To me, they were great! OeNv8C1HRkGoUoYG0kY0Pg_thumb_1a58.jpg I'll try to post a picture but apologize for the lack of good pictures. My nephew is now the proud owner.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Giraffe bone is a lot more like ivory in weight and warmth than any wood will every be. I don't shoot any yet...but I will eventually and then put away and worry less about the ivory I own. Holly wood?! Good one....and decent grips but really, for Hollywood?! :cool:
HAHAHA! I was feeling under the weather this week and it took me a second to pick up on that when I read it. Well played sir!

I guess the idea is the same as the guns you posted, get all the easy stuff engraved before sending the frame where the rates really go up on shipping. Then again, I might get a quote on what it will cost to get it done all at once, ship once and have it all taken care of. I am not really in that much of a hurry, because i am still trying to decide what I will do with the barrel. Full coverage or 3/4 etc. Just not sure yet. I am going to need to take a look at a lot of engraved guns to see what really jumps at me as for the coverage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rick - I have been asked about the stag or elk. If I could find some that is pretty much without bark, I would be interested, I was never a huge fan of them for some reason. I know they are popular, but it just doesn't strike me.

Flyfish - I had looked for tru ivory for some time, and as desron put it, very difficult to find these days, and if you are lucky enough to come across it, the price is probably insane.

22Flattop - thanks for posting the picture, those are gorgeous guns, I really like the way they are done all the way around, with the gold etc. A the long barreled colts are definitely awesome to begin with, and I like that the engraving is about the length of the ejector rod. Classy pieces right there.

As for the Giraffe bone, I am going to take a look at that as well...I will absolutely keep updating as this progresses. It will be truly my gun at the end of this, whenever that might be. The only part that is tough and I find myself fighting a bunch is "how far do you go and what is too far." I worry sometimes that its like the old cars. Back in the day when they were modern, you did whatever you needed to with them, thats where the sentimental value came from, but you constantly hear "man, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done x, y or z." I just don't want to run into that is all. Strange I know because I have already started the process by having the backstrap and trigger guard engraved, but it still enters my mind from time to time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have generally found that those who are thoughtful and cautious are, in the end, satisfied with their decisions. I think you're on the right track. If you want ivory, have patience, you'll run on to some.
Enjoy the journey.

Reactions: lounick and rhmc24
1 - 16 of 16 Posts