Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noted on eBay and stand alone websites the listing of "gun parts kits." In the case of handguns, well known, even late model handguns are bandsawed through the frame (serial number often conveniently missing) and legally sold. Since these prices are lower than the servicable guns which were cut up for the "parts", what do you suppose is their true status? It just grates on me. "Could" be entirely legal, but the numbers do not add up. Less than $250 for this serviceable weapon.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Perhaps they were bought from a police sale or gun buy-back program. I think they are supposed to be destroyed in the buy-back program. This looks destroyed. But I don't think it satisfies what the ATF mandates. They specifically call out band saw cuts as not being acceptable.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Perhaps they were bought from a police sale or gun buy-back program. I think they are supposed to be destroyed in the buy-back program.
I have talked to a few of these sellers, and they said that they buy them from the police (buy-back or confiscated) and the destruction is part of the deal. Fortunately, we don't have any buy-back programs around here and all confiscated guns are sold through local auction houses. The guns are usually junk, but at least they're not destroyed and every now and then you can find a nugget.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Around here, any confiscated/buy-back firearms head to the furnace - no small parts can be salvaged/substituted, ever for departmental officers, nor retained by an armorer.

Turn-in ammunition - if odd - goes to BATF for whatever use they might have for it - the rest is destroyed.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Same thing happens here as where Dogface6 is. I tried to talk them into selling off even just parts but they are afraid of having to deal with liability issues when someone using a gun or even a gunpart in a crime. I said when not if. It wouldn't gook good if it can be traced back to our local police dept. being the one who put it back on the street. A real shame for us collectors and tinkerers. Luckily there are not many desirable guns being destroyed locally.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Our state police used to auction guns that had come into their possesion, but they quit doing it years ago. I picked up some nice guns from their auction over the years,

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I become very suspicious when Colt Lightnings are cut up. To my suspicious mind, it is an ideal way of disposing of stolen weapons. No idea how close the BATF monitors, if at all. Maybe someone here is involved in this enterprise (or close to one) and can assist in understanding how the numbers add up.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I think its a great way to get obsolete parts out to collectors and gunsmiths who rebuild their vintage guns. So stupid for the police to melt it all. Take every part off the frame, destroy the frame, and sell the rest with all proceeds going to the police department. Win-win for everybody. And for the concern as a way to 'get rid' of stolen guns...remember the alternative is the entire recovered gun to be melted (you really think recovered gun get returned to the original owner?).

·
Registered
552 Posts
you really think recovered gun get returned to the original owner?
There are lots of reason that they do not get returned. We had 2 sitting in the evidence room that came up stolen so we knew how the rightful owner was but both times the barrels were cut down below legal lengths so they could not returned.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have recovered and returned several guns to their owners. Once they are cleared of any involvement in any cases no reason not to, but then again we have gun friendly guys at my department. Didn't used to, had to melt them down. Saw more than a few really nice ones end up that way. They even changed it now to have some of the ones we confiscate that aren't stolen but unclaimed turned over to us for departmental use by the courts. Whole rack full of AR-15's in the armory from that. Never understood the argument about liability. If we sell them to a distributor, they sell them to a dealer, and then the dealer sells them to an individual we are a long way away from them in the paper trail. Legitimately transferred and can trace it after it left our possession. If the department auctioned them off to individuals maybe a better chance for liability.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I always tried to return guns once a case was done. I did a guy federally who had quit his job loading ATMs but kept his uniform and keys or whatever he needed to get into them. He emptied one out but it wasn't scheduled and the convenience store owner called the cops. He was wearing a 4506 as part of his uniform and he got the use of a firearm enhancement to his bank burglary charge (the ATM belonged to a federally insured bank). He pled, and when I was closing the case I called his Dad and asked if he wanted the gun. He did, and I sent it to him once I was sure he wasn't a felon. Nobody cared.

I buy guns from a cop shop that gets traded in police evidence and duty guns. The departments get credit toward what they really want - leather gear, vests, boots, tasers, cuff, ASPs, etc, and the shop gets to sell the guns cheap. They only sell to LE or retired LE, so no real liability to them. Last month I got a pristine 4 inch 1974 Python for 1200 bucks. Low overhead.

They also deal with departments who contract a disposal service for old duty guns and evidence guns. They strip off barrels, grips, sights, cylinders, slides, mags - and then saw through the frames. I thought they just sent the frames to the recycler, but maybe not. That is probably where the guns in the OP came from.

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a High Power clone stolen in 2012. The tweeker/suspect was arrested two towns away with it a week later. It was in evidence for several months, but then I got the call. After a thorough de-mething, it was happily back home.

Reactions: Homerfan

·
Registered
254 Posts
these companies probably get these police confiscated guns by the pound or have a deal where they pay a flat x dollars per gun. if you look at the cut frames, even though its bandsaw cut, theres a portion of the frame missing. used to be AK parts kits were bandsaw cut and sold as a parts kit. But they were literally cut in half and you could just weld the reciver back together and have a complete gun when done. jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts