Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"passing up\" anib SAA.the Lonewolf way!!

Yup, Friday saw a post 3rd Generation,or I guess Custom Shop,4.75" B/CH one in 32/20 for $995,which meant probably a grand OTD of the shop.

Now I like the 32/20 cartridge,and the SAA was virtually new,with ALL accessories. From what I "heard" rich dude playing cowboy at SASS events figured the low recoiling 32/20 would give him an edge-but he sucked as a shooter,and the wimp cowboy action commercial loads,weren't able to knock down targets!

Thought about it,had the $$$ from a "summer bonus",but was hesitant(and also was "upset" about seeing what would have been a nice post war 4" O.P. that had been "electronickled" to look like stainless and had rubbers on it. So,I passed,but did some "research at home".

One of my rules is that other than a TOTAL wreck,past restoration,ANY "all genuine Colt SAA" for under $1000 is a nice deal(under $300 for N frame S&Ws and Colt New Services-and under $200 for E frames).

The "Swedes Book"(Blue Book) put a 98% at $950-and I saw that the NEW Colts had dropped in price from the factory. Next a search on 3 internet auctions,showed these 32/20s as fairly common,and in the $1250-$1450 range UNFIRED.

So,OK,The previous owner had lost the $3-500 firing it-which was his loss-not mine-as I would have fired it-A LOT!

But-A 32/20 in an SAA is NOT my favorite chambering. I have a mixed numbered 7.5" and a Bisley clone(which I bought mostly for its extra .32 Mag cylinder!). So,it was to my "backyard" with these two,and 200 rds of handloads.
Nope,No need for the ANIB Colt! Guns shot fine,and the 32/20 is best appreciated in my "mid frame" sized Colts and S&Ws(just don't push them like you can on the SAA frame!!)

Investment?? Hell NO! I am 63,and have NO idea how much longer I will be the caretaker and enjoy shooting my revolvers. As far as my "heirs",my wife has never "supported" my gun habit(other than saying it is better than a couple of my older habits!) so I could give a damn about a few hundred extra bucks-and I don't think that 32/20 will double in value in a "few years"-NOT being "unturned".

So,I passed-and the "gun gods" rewarded me! Co worker called me Sunday night-his brother "needed to sell" a NEW S&W he'd bought and fired one box. I yawned,thinking stainless semi or some other "space age". Nope-.45acp. Thunder Ranch!!! $575. Said I'd never get a "lock" S&W-but this baby is "retro"-and will "save" some of my vintage S&Ws.Now where did I put those old Elmer Keith "hot handload formulas for the .45acp!!!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: \"passing up\" anib SAA.the Lonewolf way!!

Good discourse on your thinking process, Bud, and a fun read.

I especially got a kick out of:

[ QUOTE ]
...my wife has never "supported" my gun habit (other than saying it is better than a couple of my older habits!)..,

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me laugh! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats on the Thunder Ranch!

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
Re: \"passing up\" anib SAA.the Lonewolf way!!

Sound reasoning Bud . Let us know how the Retro shoots . I like that one too /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts