Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I've never seen these with black pearl as being original, but I'm sure no expert on these. This poor guy on G.B. is selling a few damaged Colts like this. I could deal with the finish issues, but what's been damaged inside? but you have a very cool gun in that Pat Garrett Lawman .45 you have. I always liked the whole series of them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've never seen these with black pearl as being original, but I'm sure no expert on these. This poor guy on G.B. is selling a few damaged Colts like this. I could deal with the finish issues, but what's been damaged inside? but you have a very cool gun in that Pat Garrett Lawman .45 you have. I always liked the whole series of them.
He has been trying to sell those for quite some time now . Like you said , what has been damaged inside ? . If they were in Hurricane Katrina , they were exposed to Salt Water . I would like to get his Bat Masterson for about $500 . That would be the most I would gamble on it . I have never seen nickel so "JACKED UP" as his Bat Masterson model .http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366948631 It almost looks like it has been engraved .

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
Hawk Eye Tom: Your comments on the Bat Masterson are well put. In my looking at the pictures, it appears that some galvanic action has occurred below the nickel plating that is giving rise to that "engraved" appearance. It might be possible that there is more damage beneath the nickel plating that to the nickel plating. Paying $500 for that gun might be a losing proposition. It has certainly been in a hostile environment.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Tom,

I'm sorry, I don't know if they ever came w/black pearl. But I do know that almost anything is possible w/Colt. If they were short of white pearl grips and had black on hand from another commemorative, they would use them. Hundreds of standard Colt's were produced in the commemorative production periods with left over parts like blue loading gates on case colored frame guns, NRA Centennial marked barrels, plated ejector rod housings on blue guns, etc. It's well documented in the books about 2nd gen Colts. So different grips won't phase them, I'm sure.

I agree, that Bat Masterson is way over priced! Most of the damage is discolored nickel plating but I can see several spots of corrosion where it's thru the plating which means it has deep pitting in the metal below that. Even a refinish won't get those out. I've seen, we've probably all seen, a gun like this refinished with blued over pits showing and markings polished 1/2 off. The insides are no doubt rusty but not worn out, so should clean-up and work fine. I'd take it for $200 for a project gun! Maybe de-nickel it and leave it in the "white" like an old 1st gen cowboy 6 shooter, rode hard and put away wet. That would look better than trying to make it look new again. Although for $1300 or so Doug Turnbull could do that. He can weld up the bad pits and re-roll marks them.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts