Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months a go I started a thread about walk away mistakes. My remorse was that I had walked away from a 1942 1911A1. Small beans compared to some of the replies. I am a collector of families. I need to have a Colt 1911 A1 from WWII manufactured in each year the war was fought. Just like I need a D frame in all the configurations, or a SAA in the various chamberings. Just my thing. Friday I took a tour south to visit the various gun stores down the valley. In one there was a very nice looking 1911A1 that was marked made in 1944. Well among other things I also look for consecutive serial numbers, so already having a 1944 I asked to see this one on the off chance it was consecutively numbered (I know long shot but I always look). Well right away I knew by the serial number that it was a '42. I asked the salesman if he was sure it wasn't a bit older to which he replied the owner checked it with the book. Not being one to argue I asked if we could take it apart and had he checked the serial number on the slide. Well he hadn't and lo and behold it matched the frame.

Well I didn't walk away this time and this particular '42 was $200 less than the one I walked away from before. Now I know you experts will tell me the grip panels are not correct and I know that, but that is easily remedied.

She now resides in my safe between the '41 and '44. I couldn't be happier. Until I find a '43..:D

1911A1 002.jpg 1911A1 003.jpg

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Gorgeous gun. You're right...grips (and other small items) can be easily swapped. The finish looks original and the slide/receiver match. Excellent score.
Bob

·
Registered
701 Posts
..... and its one of the few '42s that was 'GHD' inspected rather than the more common 'WB' for that particular year.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good eye canuck. I place it somewhere around October. Everything I've read tells me this serial range could have gone either way. Thanks for sharing the '43's guys. I think now I need one in the 900K range. I have a 700K, now an 800K range, and a 1M+ range. Uh oh, then there is that 2M+ range from '45.... It never ends does it.:)

The frame is also "S" marked by the disconnector hole meaning it came out of commercial stock to be used in the war effort.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Congrats!

It's cool how one collects Colts for their own personal reasons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts