Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to different Pawn Shop and found some old colts that he's selling me below dirt cheap!!!
Old 38 Police Positive 38 S&W $85
Old 41 Colt DA $100
Old 25 ACP Colt $100
a bunch of old S&W's Hand Ejectors for under $85 each and a Baby Browning for $95.

He has a Colt Commercial 1917 style 45 long Colt he's dangling in front of me for $495 with original holster but I have more Blueing on me that it does, so I'll pass.

He's letting them sit in a box while I buy them one @ a time. All I have to do is listen to his wife drone on for hours on end. Hey, its worth it and besides just like Jim Belushi in LIFE WITH JIM I only hear the sound of the ocean when women talk.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Wow that is dirt cheap.

Last .41 Colt DA I saw cost about $300 and I thought that was cheap.

How is the bluing on those guns?

I would love to get one of those, it would have a little more stopping power yet be the same frame and feel of my .38 Official Police guns. Only problem is they don't make ammunition for the .41 anymore on the regular market

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Doug 38PR; Those older Colts,that are marked Colt .41 D.A. etc. are NOT the same frame as your Official Polices. They are a different lock work,sideplate is on opposite side,and the cylinder rotates to the left,hence the name "left wheelers". They do not have the strength of the post 1908 frame(Army Special/Official Police) commonly known as the "E Frame".

These older Colts are notorious for getting out of time and having lock up troubles. While they were an improvement over Colts first attempt at a D.A.,the solid frame Lightning/Thunderer,they tend to be weak.

They have also been a sleeper among collectors,but only the nearly mint examples will sell. Guys that like to shoot and reload,like me,tend to stay clear of them,although I have 2,a 1906 Officers Model in .38 Special and a 1907 32/20. They are nice tight guns,look good too,but are shot with very mild handloads,so they will stay that way!

If you are looking for a .41 Colt,search for an Army Special,that is identical to your Official Police(s). Made 1908-26,approx.A few Official Police marked guns were made in .41 Colt ,before the caliber was dropped by Colt,circa 1930.

Ammo is a problem,and even for us handloaders,bullets are sort of scarce,although brass situation is better than a decade ago.

Of course,you could always buy a first generation Colt Single Action in .41 Colt. I can't afford one,so I "built" one(on a Great Western frame/action) to shoot alongside by .41 Colt Army Special. Bud

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I asked about converting on to an easier to find caliber and got a resounding "NO" from the list.

This gun had blue at one time but seems to have lost it along the way. Nice gray finish like my 38 DA. I want them because they are old and have a history. Its just fun.

cost of Ammo is ridiculous and I'd shoot neither the 41 or 38 in their shape without using VERY light loads & only after a gunsmith checked them out.

I do shoot my old Colt 32-20 with the revolver laods only. She's a sweetheart and I'm trying to buy a few more and a lever gun in same.

I may do Cowboy action one day with the rifle and buy an older Colt. That'd be fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts