Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this Colt Peacekeeper .357 today in 6". Yes, I know its a Mk V, and doesn't have the hand fitting of a Python, but darn it, the DA pull feels pretty good! The SA pull borders on being a hare trigger. It's a very fast cocking action. No box or papers, but it looks fired very little. It has barely a turn line. Stocks are original. Serial # is 494xxV (V suffix). I am guessing the DOB has to be between 1985-1987 because thats the only years this gun was offered. Proofhouse.com has no serial data for the MK Vs for some reason. As far as I know, the Peacekeeper was a matte finished Trooper MK V. I know they were only made for about 2 years, so I couldn't resist. How did I do for $300 OTD? Here's a pic:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think you did good. Here is a gun you should NOT be afraid to shoot and harm a highly polished blue or nickle finish. The fit and finish "inside" where it counts,is just as good as the "shiny" ones! Sorta like the W.W. Two Commandos and S&W Victory models! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They did NOT make all that many,and i see it as Colt's VERY LAST gasp at the Police revolver market. Young cop I knew close to 20 years ago,got a 4" one from his grandad,an ex-cop,upon graduation from the Criminal Justice Academy-but dept. that hired had went to semi autos only,so he wanted to sell it to me,as he had a child on the way. Don't regret telling him that he was making a mistake,and was kinda slap to his grandad,who was not all that rich,so he agreed and kept it-I hope!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have no idea how many were produced. I've been lead to understand that Colt keeps this type of information to itself. So I don't know that any number you might hear would be anything but a guess. However, the guys on this forum are a wealth of Colt knowledge and frequently surprise me. I think that you did real well on the purchase will be very happy with the new addition.

Dave

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
BTW; just looked up the last "suggested" retail price in 1987-$330. I can recall,a couple of years after that,NIB examples,1 or 2,being listed for $300 tax and all at gun shows in my area.

Bud

·
Registered
764 Posts
They didn't make that many, and that one is in good shape with a slight cylinder ring. Keep it in good condition, if you must shoot it. Personally that would go to the back of the safe immediately and forget you even have it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Saw a 6" Peacekeeper in one of our gun shops yesterday. Looked like about 95-98% condition. They wanted $450.00 for it, so I think you did just fine.

I agree, in that shape, I would not shoot it, unless you are not a collector.

·
Registered
764 Posts
guy I know has one, its around 495.00 He's had it for a long time, I may try to haggle him down, if I sell something tommorrow.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No Box,no papers,and has been fired. Yes,they are "scarce,but here is a gun that will NOT be hurt by careful handling and firing with the matte finish(and who in the hell can hurt those "50,000 mile radial tire" stocks!

And that Matte finish is e-z to "touch up". Been there,done that,and what you use to "blend in" ain't found in a gun shop.

JMO,but I am just a shooter!

Enjoy!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, now you have a bunch of opinions. Shoot or not to shoot, that is the question, that only you can answer.

In any case you bought the Peacekeeper at a great price. Whatever you do with it, I hope you do it in good health.

Bob

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I just wanted to give you guys an update. I took her out to the range today, and fired her. First was 6 rounds of Sellier & Belliot 158gr JSP .357s (I always test any new to me gun with factory ammo first for liability reasons). The S&B stuff put 4 shots into a single ragged hole double action just to the right of the X ring! Then, 50 rounds of my favorite .357 handload, a 158gr cast LSWC over 14.5 gr of W296. These stayed within the 10 ring at 25 yds! This gun is a real tackdriver.

Bowhunter and Robba,
I appreciate your opinions that it is a scarce enough model to avoid shooting it. I couldn't resist giving it a testdrive though, so I used an old trick of mine, I carefully oiled the cylinder locking bolt, and put a ring of oil around the cylinder where the lock notches are, where the turn line normally forms. This kept the turn line from forming any deeper, and there wasn't even any gas cutting on the topstrap. So it still looks exactly the same as in the photo. You can't even tell I fired it! I will shoot 50 more rounds of the handload next week, and then put it to rest in the safe, as you suggested!

Lonewolf,
I think you are right, I can fire it sparingly and carefully, and it will not show any wear.

I have located a blue plastic Colt case for it, and I am going to see it I have a MKV instruction booklet in my spare papers. so now it will be boxed! Thanks to all for the kind words and price comparisons so far!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts