Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across the beauty today. I have many Colt Peacemaker .22s, with different barrel lengths. I do not have any that are in nickel (well I do now.) I have not seen any Nickel .22 Peacemakers, any thoughts on numbers of production. Serial number puts it at 1975. I guess the search begins for a Peacemaker .22 LR cylinder in Nickel.

Rambler1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
It's likely a non factory nickel refinish. The nickel appears to be very "thick" with "muddy" stampings. According to Don Wilkerson's book Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber "a few G series revolvers were nickel plated being the result of special orders from the Colt factory" and that most were "bogus nickel revolvers sold by a single distributor". I don't believe there are actual records on the number of factory nickel G series. A archive letter from Colt might be the only way to tell for sure...

Reactions: saintclair

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
I have seen a few nickel Peacemaker .22 revolvers. A couple such guns were sold in a Rock Island auction a few years ago. The came with Colt factory boxes without labels and had handwritten information on one end flap. All that I am aware of came through the "single distributor" mentioned above and were known to have been refinished. I have never seen one that was verified with a Colt Archive letter.
A nickel Frontier Scout .22 LR cylinder would probably drop right into your gun with little or no fitting.

- - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like what I have gotten a hold of... It might not be factory, but still a great piece to the collection. I should be able to find a Frontier Scout LR cylinder. Thanks for the intel. Have a good week.

Chad

I have seen a few nickel Peacemaker .22 revolvers. A couple such guns were sold in a Rock Island auction a few years ago. The came with Colt factory boxes without labels and had handwritten information on one end flap. All that I am aware of came through the "single distributor" mentioned above and were known to have been refinished. I have never seen one that was verified with a Colt Archive letter.
A nickel Frontier Scout .22 LR cylinder would probably drop right into your gun with little or no fitting.

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
77 Posts
Neat find, factory or not. From my limited experience in trying to spot a re-fi S&W, one of the tell tale signs are the "dished out" screw holes present here. Still, it's a shame there wasn't a nickel model offered in the G series because it is striking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts