Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen & Ladies,
I am somewhat new to this form and this is my first post. I have a .22 Peacemaker (S/N G10xxx), barrel marked "Peacemaker .22". My readings suggest that strength shouldn't be an issue with this pun. I have recently acquired a like-new .22 WMR cylinder and, no surprises here, it's not a drop in. The cylinder can be installed and rotates until you try and install the cylinder pin, which can't be seated. My local gunsmith (Gander Mountain) refused to touch it, saying that he hadn't the ability to re-cut the rear bushing, if necessary. Can anyone suggest a gunsmith in SE Wisconsin who is capable of this? I've thought of swapping it for a regular combo but I'm kind attached to the little piece. Thoughts?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Are you sure its a Colt cylinder? The parts were pretty much interchangeable, but not always.

Welcome to the forum.
I have a Colt .22 magnum fluted cylinder and it won't drop in to either of my Peacemakers. Haven't taken it to a gunsmith yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can I tell if it's Colt or not? My trusty Starrett dial calipers show the same dimensions within .001-.002.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
I've tried cylinders that came from Numrich and they wouldn't work due to their manufacturing. I could see the problem with some of the teeth in the rear side (ratchet side) of the cylinder.
There are occurrences when the factory cylinders don't fit in a frame.. Most of the time it does just drop in and work. It can be fitted if the cylinder length is slightly too long- metal can be removed. If the cylinder is too short, then one would have to try another cylinder.

If wondering if it's a Colt cylinder, I can tell a distinct difference in the finish of the remanufactured cylinders and the genuine Colt cylinders. The original Colt finishes are much much better.. Glossy blued.
Basically the finish will be as good or better than the barrel finish. Repros will not look as good as the original barrel finish if in mint condition.

88IROC, if you can get some real close up photos of the cylinder ratchet teeth and a photo of the cylinder in good light, I might be able to give you some good info

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
I have a Colt .22 magnum fluted cylinder and it won't drop in to either of my Peacemakers. Haven't taken it to a gunsmith yet.
John, the magnum fluted cylinders were the early cylinders and they had the best finish, IMO. Colt soon made the magnums non-fluted to more easily tell the magnums from the LR cylinders. Those early years 1971, had really polished glossy finishes.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Good question from ColtPlinkerton. If the pin does not fit the cylinder outside of the frame there is something wrong. My guess is that the cylinder is not genuine Colt. I have swapped cylinders in many Frontier Scouts, Peacemaker .22s and New Frontier .22s and only once have I had to "fit" the cylinder. That involved a factory new Colt cylinder and I set it up in my small lathe and took a couple thousandths off the front bushing and it fit just fine.
There are a lot of non-Colt cylinders around and they are sometimes hard to tell from the real thing. It would help it you could post a few photos of the cylinder in question.

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Actually my suggestion was going to be to check for a burr or machining mark on the rear of the cylinder that might be preventing the cylinder pin from being completely inserted. After that, I'd oil up the pin real good and spin the cylinder on the pin - to visually check it for a wobble or "out of round". It could be that the hole is not centered. It strikes me that the cylinder does fit the frame, just not with the pin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried cylinders that came from Numrich and they wouldn't work due to their manufacturing. I could see the problem with some of the teeth in the rear side (ratchet side) of the cylinder.
There are occurrences when the factory cylinders don't fit in a frame.. Most of the time it does just drop in and work. It can be fitted if the cylinder length is slightly too long- metal can be removed. If the cylinder is too short, then one would have to try another cylinder.

If wondering if it's a Colt cylinder, I can tell a distinct difference in the finish of the remanufactured cylinders and the genuine Colt cylinders. The original Colt finishes are much much better.. Glossy blued.
Basically the finish will be as good or better than the barrel finish. Repros will not look as good as the original barrel finish if in mint condition.

88IROC, if you can get some real close up photos of the cylinder ratchet teeth and a photo of the cylinder in good light, I might be able to give you some good info
I can get some photos tonight but its fairly glossy, may be not as much as the 22LR cylinder, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts