Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy a pair of Peacemaker Centennials a .45 Blue/CC and a Nickel 7 1/2 s/n's pc1979 and 1979pc. Should the Nickel be .44-40? As the seller is confused and says both are .45 and not a cased set. Is there anything I should be cautious about?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
The nickel "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" marked gun is .44-40. The military one is .45. Experts here know how many cased pairs were made. I have a single cased .44-40 and I think I read the number 2002 kicked around as the number made. I don't know what else to be concerned about except the usual stuff about buying guns long distance. These are beautifully made guns, I'll tell you that. Welcome here and good luck.

·
Premium Member
21,831 Posts
I once owned a PC set and after selling it I learned that Colt had mistakeningly placed a 45 LC cylinder in the 44-40 SAA. Better check that if the cylinder accepts a 45 that the barrel is also a 45 caliber. Mine had a 44 caliber barrel with the 45 caliber cylinder. Luckily, no one ever tried to shoot it before that discovery.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I'm no expert -- just looked it up. In 1975 Colt made 500 cased sets and 1500 individual .44/40 and 1500 individual .45s. These are nice well put together SAAs (with the above noted exception, of course). With those serial numbers I think it is a "put together" set and not one of the factory 500 cased sets. The .44/40 should be nickeled.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The paired sets have matched serial numbers - XXXMPC and MPCXXX - while the separate ones only have PC as part of the s/n. The niclel ones are 44-40 Frontier Six Shooters and the the blue ones are 45 Colt cavalry revolvers.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I once owned a PC set and after selling it I learned that Colt had mistakeningly placed a 45 LC cylinder in the 44-40 SAA. Better check that if the cylinder accepts a 45 that the barrel is also a 45 caliber. Mine had a 44 caliber barrel with the 45 caliber cylinder. Luckily, no one ever tried to shoot it before that discovery.
do you know how many of the 44-40's had a 45 colt cylinder? did colt do a recall?

·
Premium Member
21,831 Posts
do you know how many of the 44-40's had a 45 colt cylinder? did colt do a recall?
I certainly hope the one I owned was the only one. The problem with the one I owned was that a collector decided to keep it, as it was made, in his collection. My fear was that he might pass away and his collection would be sold off without regard to alerting someone about this anomaly.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I'm planning to buy a pair of Peacemaker Centennials a .45 Blue/CC and a Nickel 7 1/2 s/n's pc1979 and 1979pc. Should the Nickel be .44-40? As the seller is confused and says both are .45 and not a cased set. Is there anything I should be cautious about?
Serial number PC1979 should be .45 Colt and serial number 1979PC should be .44/40.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
That's pretty cool that they have matching serial #s but not a cased set. They should both come in their individual case.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.