Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an Official Police from 1929 that came with these pearl type grips (stocks).

I know nothing about Mother of Pearl, Imitation MOP, Pearlite, Plastic Pearl etc. Can someone tell me if perhaps these are the real deal?

They are very heavy. The photo is of the inside where I noticed an indentation. I figured if these were some sort of imitation the inside would be totally flat.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 03-30-2004).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
There real.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:
I recently bought an Official Police from 1929 that came with these pearl type grips (stocks).

I know nothing about Mother of Pearl, Imitation MOP, Pearlite, Plastic Pearl etc. Can someone tell me if perhaps these are the real deal?

They are very heavy. The photo is of the inside where I noticed an indentation. I figured if these were some sort of imitation the inside would be totally flat.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 03-30-2004).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
The reason the inside of your stocks is dished out is because that is the curved inside part of the original clam/oyster shell that was not ground off to make a flat side to fit the frame.

Had you also included a picture of the other side including the screw, the screw style might be a clue as to whether these stocks are factory. I have a Bankers Special with factory-letter-verified pearl stocks, and they look similar on the back to these.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the quick response guys! I'm beginning to like them a little bit more now.
Kind of making me wonder if they came from the factory that way.

Here is a pic I took earlier of the front.

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
The escutcheons look like those on my BS, and the scallop shape of the top is the same, so I would speculate that these MOP stocks are factory. (I think that scallop was there so medallions could be installed if requested.) It would pay to get a letter on the gun on which they came to see if that matches as well.

Anybody care to guess what factory MOP stocks would add to the value of the OP? I would speculate about $200, but maybe less on a common gun like the OP.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your comments & info guys. To be honest I wasn't all that thrilled about the pearl stocks when I bought the gun. However I am now more at ease with them.

So I figured you might like to see a picture of them on the gun. It's a 5" OP from 1929 in 38 Spec outfitted with the Pearly Whites!

Sorry about the size of the picture. I still need to learn how to shrink it down!

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 04-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 04-01-2004).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts