Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a DS that has a slight timing issue on 2 chambers. Bolt is just a hair away from popping into the cylinder slot until you pull trigger. Sending to Colt or a competent gunsmith is of course the best answer but we are going to try a fix with Kuhnhausen manual in hand. All other chambers are fine. I had a machinist buddy make me a dead flat steel plate that is slotted to accept ejector should I choose to peen individual star lugs or strtch hand. My concern with strtching the hand will throw off the other chambers . What say ye ?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If it's that close to carrying up, I wouldn't do anything to it until (unless) it gets worse. Pulling the trigger completely will insure that it locks up fine, and it will be perfectly safe to fire.

Just be aware of the old saw, if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.:D

Buck

Reactions: TomcatPC

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,885 Posts
Much depends on how close lockup on the other chambers is, AND if that's the actual problem and not something like a sprung crane.

If when you slowly cock the hammer, the other chambers lock up JUST as the hammer reaches full cock, and the off chambers are close to locking up, the best option would probably be to stretch the hand.
If the lock up is close on the on and off chambers, there's enough room to stretch the hand without causing binding.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I couldnt find anything in the JK manual about peening star lugs so I figured the hand would be the place to go. I will definitely check crane ...that never crossed my mind. I will re-check timing on the good holes before I stretch. I sure dont want to make it worse than it is !

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,885 Posts
Most ratchet fitting is to correct a LONG lug, not try to stretch a short one.
Good info is on page 118 at the bottom under "Over-fit Ratchet Lugs" and the pages just before that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts