Colt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 142 Posts
Paul, any idea how many of those 11,000 were 2" guns (versus 2.5" or 4")?
This is hard to say. I'd have to look at all the numbers. I'm not aware of any estimates of percentages by barrel length, but there may be one somewhere. I don't research very many of these guns at all (maybe a couple a year?), so I don't have a great feel for the barrel length breakdowns.

I think calling the guns "Pequeno" was just a nice way to market to Latin American / Spanish speaking countries. The "B" could indicate what the internal to Colt frame size (B) would have been for the Pequeno (I do not know if B and C frame barrels are interchangeable). The B notation in the ledger ONLY appears when the Pequeno model shipping information is mixed with the 32's on 38 frames. Could have been Colt's way of differentiating? Of course, this is ALL pure speculation, but I think the pieces fit.

Well Paul you just solved the mystery of why there are a B marking on some of the Pequeno's and not on others. First let me answer your question on the frames. The small .32 frames were the "G" frame and the larger .38 frames were the "C" frame. The B marking was not for a frame size. There was a "B" frame revolver but it was the New Police model. From what you found in the ledger book it appears that when Colt did a batch of .32 on a .32 frame and it did not include any .32 on a .38 frame they did not mark or list it with the B marking. However when they ran a batch with the larger frame .32's then they marked it with the "B" to keep them
separate. Mystery solved. OH how I would love to have those Ledger Books at my finger tips. There are a lot of unanswered Colt questions that are locked up in the ledgers.

This is hard to say. I'd have to look at all the numbers. I'm not aware of any estimates of percentages by barrel length, but there may be one somewhere. I don't research very many of these guns at all (maybe a couple a year?), so I don't have a great feel for the barrel length breakdowns.
From my experience the barrel lengths are scattered. I own everything from a 2" to a 6" and have seen several of each. I think the 2" & 2 1/2" get most of the fanfair because collectors like the short barrel lengths. If you were to set out to find a 5" nickel it would seem like the rarest but that might not be the case. Colt built these in 2", 2 1/2", 3 1/2", 4", 5" & 6". These are the barrel lengths that I am aware of but there may be others. I am quite sure that the 3 1/2" is the rarest but that's just a guess on my part. I think that is why we like to collect Colts, you just never know what you might happen upon. I am still looking for that 12" Pocket Positive!

Discussion starter · #51 ·
This whole discussion got me hunting for them now. I think I found one that's 2.5" and not B marked. Will find out for sure tomorrow when I confirm the serial. If it's a 2.5" Pequeno, I will be picking it up, since I don't have one. I always assumed that Pequenos had to be B marked, so never bothered to look at others. Learned something new here.

I think calling the guns "Pequeno" was just a nice way to market to Latin American / Spanish speaking countries. The "B" could indicate what the internal to Colt frame size (B) would have been for the Pequeno (I do not know if B and C frame barrels are interchangeable). The B notation in the ledger ONLY appears when the Pequeno model shipping information is mixed with the 32's on 38 frames. Could have been Colt's way of differentiating? Of course, this is ALL pure speculation, but I think the pieces fit.

Well Paul you just solved the mystery of why there are a B marking on some of the Pequeno's and not on others. First let me answer your question on the frames. The small .32 frames were the "G" frame and the larger .38 frames were the "C" frame. The B marking was not for a frame size. There was a "B" frame revolver but it was the New Police model. From what you found in the ledger book it appears that when Colt did a batch of .32 on a .32 frame and it did not include any .32 on a .38 frame they did not mark or list it with the B marking. However when they ran a batch with the larger frame .32's then they marked it with the "B" to keep them
separate. Mystery solved. OH how I would love to have those Ledger Books at my finger tips. There are a lot of unanswered Colt questions that are locked up in the ledgers.
Interesting! The "B" appears on all the production books for all of the New Police / Police Positive .32 revolvers, so I have always referred to these models as the "B" frames. See attached picture. You have what I have always referred to as "A" frame to the left (Pocket Positives), "B" frame in the middle (New Police / PP 32), and then "C" frame (Police Positive 38).

Discussion starter · #53 ·
I just confirmed that the 2.5" gun I found is also a Pequeno. What's also interesting is that the serial number is close to the B marked gun. This one is 235015 and the B marked 2" is 235265. I will post pictures after I get it.

I think Paul probably should get a bonus at work, he probably just created an influx of archive requests on PP that are in the serial number range of 226000 - 237000. I know I just ordered one on a 4" Nickel.
I agree!! These posting will probably generate requests for dozens of letters for Colt Archives. Our postings get referenced on most
'search engines' so all future searches on Pequeno will direct the searcher to this posting.

I have no doubt that the sales of Police Positive .32 guns will rise while buyers search for Pequeno's. I have collected these for many years and there are certainly more out there than folks realize, 11,000 to be exact. It's really quite simple, just look for a Police Positive .32 on the small .32 (G Frame) and with a serial number between 226,000 & 237,000 and when you find one you now have a Pequeno. This is how I found them for many years. Some will have the B on the barrel and some won't as discussed above. These were made in the 1933-1938 time period and if you know your Police Positives then you will know what to look for and what stocks they should have. Good luck hunting and I think the prices just went up on these.

Interesting! The "B" appears on all the production books for all of the New Police / Police Positive .32 revolvers, so I have always referred to these models as the "B" frames. See attached picture. You have what I have always referred to as "A" frame to the left (Pocket Positives), "B" frame in the middle (New Police / PP 32), and then "C" frame (Police Positive 38).

Paul. This is the chart that I refer to. I see that the ledger book has the New Police and Police Positive .32's together. They are really two different frames however so I don't think we would want to refer to the frames with that letter. Does this mean that the G ledger books just have the Police Positive targets? And if so are the Police Positive Targets after 1926 that are on the larger .38 "C" frame in the same book? What about the .22 caliber PPT's? Please give me your thoughts on this.

This thread is getting more interesting with each post.

Thanks, all,

Dick

Reactions: saintclair
Cam I hadn't seen that page before, very handy. I am going to print a dozen copies of it and wall paper my house with them. Thanks Tom
Paul. This is the chart that I refer to. I see that the ledger book has the New Police and Police Positive .32's together. They are really two different frames however so I don't think we would want to refer to the frames with that letter. Does this mean that the G ledger books just have the Police Positive targets? And if so are the Police Positive Targets after 1926 that are on the larger .38 "C" frame in the same book? What about the .22 caliber PPT's? Please give me your thoughts on this.

41 - 60 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.