Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bp1.JPG bp2.JPG bp3.JPG bp4.JPG

Guys, I need help on this! Don't think It's a Colt But my late Great Uncles widow has this old percussion/BP shotgun (you know the drill!)...that He bought about 10 years ago. I know exactly...(0) about these old things. Is there anything special about this one as it has...(0) markings without taking the dang thing apart? I haven't had the chance to take enough good pictures of it yet but will post later. It looks like its rammer has been replaced by a very old tapered BP stained Oak dowell of some sort?
Has typical twisted steel Damascus barrels that are very...very thin at the muzzle. In fact they're thin enough to break the skin on your fingers. Not a ton of pitting considering its age. Looks well taken care of for what it is!

Any thoughts? She wants to sell & I have NO Idea what to offer her!!!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Your typical utilitarian double barrel muzzle loading shotgun. Value will be either side of $350 or so depending on overall appearance.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Carefully drive out the barrel wedge, and look at the symbols on the table. It could be Belgian, and the proof marks there could confirm or deny that. If the proofs aren't Belgian (no ELG's), relate whats there and report back. Photos would be great.

Buck

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The barrels may or may not tell you the maker. I know of no American manufacturer that made damascus double barrel sets. Even companies like Remington bought barrel sets from Europe (usually Belgium) then fitted them to their actions/stocks. The good sets were usually proofed.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting....

Stupid Question here: Will that wedge alone, allow me to remove the barrel? Mean-time I will get this thing out, examine it a little closer and post more pictures!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Can't see the breech, but it may have a hook breech, and driving the wedge out will allow you to lift the barrels out of the stock. Otherwise the breech assembly will be in one piece and there should be a screw or bolt holding it in.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hey there.

Would it be possible to see a close-up photo of the end of the butt-plate on this old girl?

Bud

View attachment 430402 View attachment 430410 View attachment 430418 View attachment 430426

Guys, I need help on this! Don't think It's a Colt But my late Great Uncles widow has this old percussion/BP shotgun (you know the drill!)...that He bought about 10 years ago. I know exactly...(0) about these old things. Is there anything special about this one as it has...(0) markings without taking the dang thing apart? I haven't had the chance to take enough good pictures of it yet but will post later. It looks like its rammer has been replaced by a very old tapered BP stained Oak dowell of some sort?
Has typical twisted steel Damascus barrels that are very...very thin at the muzzle. In fact they're thin enough to break the skin on your fingers. Not a ton of pitting considering its age. Looks well taken care of for what it is!

Any thoughts? She wants to sell & I have NO Idea what to offer her!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Unless their is evidence to show that this is an English made gun, I doubt there is, it is going to be pretty hard to sell at any price. There are a few folks that look for these in shooting condition but if the barrels are that thin, coupled with them being Damascus I would be VERY reluctant to shoot it. Rust can be inside the steel and not show on the surface. Probably best for someone looking for a wall hanger.
tdennis

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey there.

Would it be possible to see a close

Absolutely! I'll have to take another picture tomorrow. The butt is steel with a tapered point at the top of the butt. Haven't had a ton of time today to fool around with the dang thing. Stay tuned....

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all you Guys for being honest. No surprises here BUT it never hurt's to run it by you folks! I've learned something new about antiques and that's priceless to me!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That being said, Is there any info you guys could share that might "date" it so that I could give my late uncles widow a little history lesson on it?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
By looking at Post #10, I'm not convinced they are damascus barrels. I haven't seen one in about 60 years, but they look to me like twist steel barrels. I could be wrong. But if they are twist steel, they are unsafe to shoot with ANY load. In which case, it's a wall hanger only.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
That would more than likely be a replacement wedge Sparebux. The original would have been iron or steel, or even brass, but probably steel. However, because of the iron furniture, probably not brass.

Also, the reason I asked about a photo of the butt-plate was because the butt-plate size and shape would help a great deal in determining the region of origin. For example, sometimes a very wide, type of butt-plate could indicate a gun with British influence, or at least European. Of course the proof marks are often the best indicators.

Good luck with it, and I hope you get all the information you're looking for on that piece.

Regards

Bud

Did I mention that the wedge was a small sliver of oak?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts