Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was at the LGS today and looked at a nickel-plated revolver in .38 Colt. All numbers matching and it has the RAC markings on the frame with the horse on the right side. the gun looks just like this one, save for having wood grips instead of the pearl ones listed here. Item:10917007 Colt 1901 Colt U.S. ARMY 38 Colt For Sale at GunAuction.com

Condition is fair and the last patent date on the barrel is '95. Has U.S. Govt Property" (or something VERY similar to that) on the right side of the barrel. Locks up pretty tight for its age and has a little bit of nickel flaked away around the grips. Looked like the finish under the nickel was rough in a few areas and possibly scratches under the nickel. Were the finishes this rough and did they actually come in nickel? Stated that it was because of the salt air that they were all plated. He wants $499.

I know what my spidy-sense is telling me but, I've been wrong before. Any insights?

thanks!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Was at the LGS today and looked at a nickel-plated revolver in .38 Colt. All numbers matching, the gun looks just like this one, save for having wood grips instead of the pearl ones listed here. Item:10917007 Colt 1901 Colt U.S. ARMY 38 Colt For Sale at GunAuction.com

Condition is fair and the last patent date on the barrel is '95. Has U.S. Govt Property" (or something VERY similar to that) on the right side of the barrel. Locks up pretty tight for its age and has a little bit of nickel flaked away around the grips. Looked like the finish under the nickel was rough in a few areas and possibly scratches under the nickel. Were the finishes this rough and did they actually come in nickel? Stated that it was because of the salt air that they were all plated. He wants $499.

I know what my spidy-sense is telling me but, I've been wrong before. Any insights?

thanks!

As far as I gather, those Revolvers slated for Military Use, were "Blue"...and would not have been Nickel Plated originally.

Is this one 'Stamped' in various places with the military Inspector's initials? ( A Commercial Model could be re-Barreled later on sometime, with an ex-Military Barrel ).

Commercial Models could be had Nickel Plated originally.

The one shown in the link, has been heavily buffed and re-finished in Nickel ( note sideplate edges are all 'rounded' from being Buffed hard, while off of the Frame, all original crisp edged, dubbed to blunt, etc ).

Chances are, the one you are looking at, is a re-finished example, and not original Factory Nickel, but, without images, that is just a guess.

If refinished, their price is too high.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,876 Posts
As above, the military issue Colt New Army and Navy revolvers were all blued and had smooth walnut grips.
The revolver in question had been heavily buffed and refinished in nickel and the grips were replaced.
All this was certainly not done by the government.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I wondered about that. It does have the RAC markings, as well as an LEB or LE6 right near the grip panel on the left side. I'm all for owning another Colt, but I don't want to pay for "heritage", only to find out that it's paper-thin. I think I'm going to pass on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts