Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a recommendation for a gunsmith in the Phoenix area. I have a 1877 SAA 45 that I would like to have checked out, The cylinder will lock up if the hammer is cocked quickly, but if you cock it one click at a time it does not. I would really like to shoot this gun but don't want to damage it. Thanks in Advance Rob

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Legendary Guns does not offer gun smithing. Bob James coordinates SAA work out of there for his personal business. You are correct, if you call you will get a no on providing gun smithing services unless you ask to speak to Bob.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can't do any better than Bob James. Great guy and best SAA tuner in the country, IMHO. (along with Jim Martin, and I am fortunate to have a very fine Colt SAA 4 3/4" 45 that Jim tuned and made the grips for,..fantastic))
Bob James has built several pairs of competitive SAA's for me that are superb. My main match guns are a pair of Colt SAA 5 1/2" 45 Nickel with ivory that Bob tuned
After over 50,000+ rds through each gun , not the first problem .Nada.None. Not a broken spring or has ever been out of time. Bob's work is phenomenal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
May be a bit late, but rather than start another thread, I want to give two thumbs up to Bob James, "The Arizona Thumber" for his gunsmithing.

I bought a 2d hand 3d generation revolver (circa 1982) two years ago and sent it to him for an action job and to "tighten up the cylinder" - there was a LOT of lateral play. It felt like a new gun, and didn't break the bank. Total, round trip, 2.5 lb trigger job, action smoothing (like snot on teflon), "shimming the cylinder" was about $300.

I had wanted to send a gun to Peacemaker. I really did. I have this 1957 (early 2d Gen) gun I wanted new/original grips for as well as forcing cone, cylinder gap and action job done by "the best." Due to some idiots at UPS totally misdirecting me on how to ship - I never ship UPS, but Peacemaker wouldn't take it any other way - and 2 hours wasted driving back and forth, printing out documents and going back to the UPS store to find out they wouldn't sign the papers, told me I had to go to the UPS HUB, I took that as a sign from above to bag it. I called, said thanks for the reservation, but pass it along to someone else.

Sent the gun to Bob James after he called me back to say "send the gun, we'll work it in," and that was about a month ago.

Gun arrived yesterday.

Wow.

It's as good as if not better than the other pistol. I can't get over it. He found a pair of early (eagle-free) grips which he fitted very nicely, cut back the cylinder, did his 2.5# trigger job, test-fired it, and returned it. Total cost $500 (plus I FEDEX'd the gun to him for $58 on my account).

I couldn't be happier. Would the other place, other smith have done as good a job, or better? I'll never know. I just couldn't justify the extra expense at this time in my life, and I hear only good things about Bob James work here and elsewhere.

If you are looking for any gunsmithing, I would talk with Bob James first. And get a copy of his DVD. Even my wife watched it and was suitably impressed. She also wants the 2d generation gun for her own. Now I'm looking for one from HER birth year.

Now if this snow would only melt off so I could get some range time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've got three guns with Bob now getting action work. I can't wait to get them back. I've owned one gun that the previous owner had sent to Bob, and it was amazing. I can't imagine a better job, and it was 100% reliable. If these three are as good good as the last, he'll get all of my future gun work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.