Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POTD: A Tommy Gun Like No Other – .30 Carbine Thompson

POTD: A Tommy Gun Like No Other – 30 Carbine Thompson

Welcome to today’s Photo of the Day! Today we have yet another curiosity thanks to Cody Firearms Museum – check them out, they are wonderful! Here we have an icon in terms of firearms, the Thompson. This particular Thompson was a trial gun sent to the US military when they were looking for a light rifle design that used an intermediate cartridge like 30 Carbine. The result was a Tommy gun in 30 Carbine! Check out some more background below:

“In 1940 the Army started considering a light rifle to serve alongside the M1 Garand. Eventually, this resulted in the Army’s adoption of Winchester’s submission as the M1 Carbine. This is the gun that Auto-Ordnance submitted, a Thompson SMG chambered for .30 Carbine. A fun story to go with it is that our former curator once gave a tour to Bill Ruger, who worked for Auto-Ordnance during WWII, and during the tour, Ruger saw the gun and talked about building it while he was at the company. “
Thompson SMG chambered for .30 Carbine [Photograph found in Photos, Cody Firearms Museum’s Facebook]. (2018, December 17). Retrieved April 29, 2021, from

Source: POTD: A Tommy Gun Like No Other - 30 Carbine Thompson

My Auto Ordnance ~ Thompson 1927a1 Commando chambered in .45 ACP

...and My Auto Ordnance 1911a1 also chambered in .45 ACP

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
"Light Rifle"...a Thompson is anything but light!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"Light Rifle"...a Thompson is anything but light!

Got that right...my Auto Ordnance 1927a1 weighs in at 13 pounds unloaded as it sits above...

Then add the weight of empty 20 or 30 round stick magazine or empty 50 round drum...then all the .45 ACP cartridges for either.

ModelT1-C
Caliber.45 ACP
Barrel16.5", Finned (with compensator 18")
Weight13 lbs.
Length41" overall
SightBlade front, open rear adjustable
StockBlack finish stock & forend
Magazine 20 Round / 30 Round Stick Magazine or 50 / 100 Round Drum

Can't imagine what the above subject .30 Carbine Full Auto Thompson with loaded 20 round magazine weights in at...

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,801 Posts
The Thompson gun was the most over built firearm of all time.......solid milled steel and Walnut.
When you see someone in a movie or TV show waving one around, it's a plastic prop.
The real gun doesn't wave very well in the hands of some Hollywood squirt.

Another rare Thompson was a stainless steel prototype made during WWII for possible Navy use.
I think this was an M1A1 version.

The Thompson was beloved by troops but the M3 Grease Gun was actually the better combat weapon..... more controllable, lighter, and smaller.
However, the Thompson, especially the Colt produced Models 1921 and 1928 were the Rolls Royce of SMG's.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Many British Commandos refused to give up their Thompsons when STENs were supposed to replace them during WWII.

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
In 1940 the Army started considering a light rifle to serve alongside the M1 Garand. Eventually, this resulted in the Army’s adoption of Winchester’s submission as the M1 Carbine. This is the gun that Auto-Ordnance submitted, a Thompson SMG chambered for .30 Carbine. A fun story to go with it is that our former curator once gave a tour to Bill Ruger, who worked for Auto-Ordnance during WWII, and during the tour, Ruger saw the gun and talked about building it while he was at the company. “

Thank GOD they let him go or we would not have the RUGERS we love today.....
One more Bill Ruger story....Bill was upset the NRA museum wasn't getting done fast enough he asked what was taking so long....their answer was funding.....he grabbed his personal check book and wrote them a check for $1,000,000 and said get things going.....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I remember when my daughter was young she loved our 1927 Tommy gun. It was to heavy for her to hold so she would balance it on the bench using the drum. All the old guys loved watching her shoot it.
There are thousands of full auto Tommy guns on the bottle of the ocean as ships were sunk during WW11. Sure wish I could retrieve some.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Years ago, I went to a gunshow in N.Georgia near Gainesville. One of the displays was made up of Thompson Sub Machineguns. There were the usual .45 guns but there were also Thompsons chambered for 9mm and for 38 Super! Other than slightly different mags, they looked just like the other Thompson. The way the display was set up, you could get close enough to read the stampings on them that showed the cartridge they were chambered for. I always wished I had gotten the guy's name!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,801 Posts
Just when the first actual combat use of the Thompson was is probably unanswerable.

What constitutes combat is arguable, whether the IRA use in Ireland in 1921, or the US Marine use in the Central American "banana wars" of the 1920's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts