Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POTD: The Shield Before it was Cool – Smith and Wesson .35 Auto

POTD: The Shield Before it was Cool – Smith and Wesson .35 Auto

Welcome to today’s Photo of the Day! Produced from 1913-1921, the Smith and Wesson .35 Auto was introduced to battle the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless which was chambered for .32 ACP and the later Model 1908 in .380 ACP. The most interesting part about the handgun itself is the new cartridge! This is also the biggest reason that it was unsuccessful and fairly quickly discontinued.

The Smith and Wesson .35 Auto cartridge was actually technically/vaguely .32 caliber (it is 8mm) and only called .35 Auto to set itself apart in the market and better yet sound bigger (cause bigger bullet means bigger hole). The Colt pocket guns were extremely popular and available and better yet they were introduced in a standardized cartridge used around the world. According to the my research, .32 ACP can be fired through the Smith and Wesson .35 Auto, but may produce some reliability issues.

“The Smith & Wesson .35 Auto. This small handgun was named for the .35 S&W cartridge which actually used a .32 caliber bullet. Intended to be a competitor to Colt’s pocket guns, it was introduced in 1912 but sold less than 10,000 examples before it was discontinued in 1921
-Cody Firearms Museum’s Facebook.”
The Smith & Wesson .35 Auto [Photograph found in Photos, Cody Firearms Museum Facebook]. (n.d.). Retrieved April 21, 2021, from

Source: POTD: The Shield Before it was Cool - Smith & Wesson .35 Auto

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have one as well, and it will fire but not cycle 32 ACP rounds. I bought it cheap, as a curiosity - has wood grips. Everything is in storage as I just moved - it may take a day or to round them up. I will post pictures of it, and it's predecessor - the Clement 1909. Clement designed the S&W 1913. The Clement 1909 is arguably a better pistol.

Here is a treatise on the Clement designs
The Clément Pistols

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Shooter13:

Your POTD appears to show the later .32 version, made for a few years starting in 1924. Less than a thousand exist.

It is technically quite a bit different from the original Model 1913 in the proprietary .35 Auto, which was the modified Clement design as discussed above.

Air gun Wood Trigger Wood stain Gun barrel

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Shooter13:

Your POTD appears to show the later .32 version, made for a few years starting in 1924. Less than a thousand exist.

It is technically quite a bit different from the original Model 1913 in the proprietary .35 Auto, which was the modified Clement design as discussed above.

View attachment 751193

Thanks for your input...

Like all the other posts in this Photo Of The Day series...I am at the mercy of the source of the info...in this particular case:

Source: POTD: The Shield Before it was Cool - Smith & Wesson .35 Auto [www.alloutdoor.com/2021/04/27/potd-shield-cool-smith-wesson-35-auto/]

AND

Source
:
The Smith & Wesson .35 Auto [Photograph found in Photos, Cody Firearms Museum Facebook]. (n.d.). Retrieved April 21, 2021, from Facebook – log in or sign up

I've started this limited series to spur discussion on what I considered to be firearms of interest to the Colt Forum membership.

I, and others here, yourself included, have noticed the "Source(s)" ( listed in every post ) has made numerous errors in just about every single thread, whether it be image, description, or fact...and this has prompted me to discontinue the "limited series" ahead of schedule...with today's three threads being the last.

I do hope all have gleaned some unique firearms history / info / entertainment from the threads shared in this series. I know I have...to include the corrections noted by the membership in said discussions that were always welcomed. This is how we learn...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts