Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the info on how to post pics here and I appreciate the thought. There are some of us however that may need a bit more help and this is for them. If you find it worth a sticky please go ahead. The security of making your photobucket page 'Private" is worth a look for everyone.

The following info may seem simplistic to the electronically gifted but for those of you like myself who have been cyberspace challenged I hope this helps. It was daunting my first time trying to post a picture on a forum thread. Seemed so complicated and I couldn’t wrap my head around how my pictures were supposed to go to some website server and then magically appear on the Forum! I’m just a guy who wants to talk guns and throw a few (thousand) rounds down range once in a while. I’m certainly no computer wizard, I’ll admit to (or brag about) that, no problem. Long story short… I figured it out – it’s easy and if you want to join the fun of tossing in a pic of that Python or old Colt 1911 you treat better than your first born here’s how to do it. I (and many other forum users) use “Photobucket” because it has no popups or other bs that are a part of other free picture storing/sharing websites. I have no connection to it other than that it works great for me.

Steps in posting your pictures in the EE or other threads.

• Go to “Photobucket” and register. Give a valid email address and use your judgment on the rest. Here’s the link: http://photobucket.com/register.php?link=topmenu

• They will send you a confirmation email right away with a link to go to complete the process. Now you can log in to Photobucket and start uploading pictures to their site which has a reserved space for your photos.

• Now you’re logged in at the Photobucket site and on your screen it shows several buttons, each with the word “Browse”. Click any one of them and it will let you choose pictures from wherever you have them stored on your computer. For example if your pictures are in a “My Documents” folder called “Guns” you can choose that folder right from the Photobucket site by clicking that Browse button.

• Choose a photo by clicking on it and then click “Open”. Now on the Photobucket page just click “Upload” and wait a couple of minutes while a copy of the picture transfers to the Photobucket site. Repeat as necessary till you have a stock of photos stored on Photobucket. At this point you have a stock of photos including that nice Diamondback you want to put in EE for $400.00 which is the reason I’m doing all this typing. Just kidding – sort of.

• Now it’s time to start a thread in Classifieds or just share a picture in reply to someone else’s thread. Go to your Photobucket pictures and left click (yes left) on the 4th line under the picture that says “IMG Code” It will copy the image info and then all you have to do is paste that in a new thread or reply dialog box on the forum by right clicking the mouse and choosing “paste”. When you post your thread or reply etc. the actual image will magically appear in your post.

• A last word of caution – it isn’t difficult for anyone to see not just the picture you are posting but also any others you have stored on the Photobucket site unless you make your account private. If you don’t want those pictures of you and that Norinco going at it on the range to be seen by a bunch of Colt fanatics click “account options” (upper right on screen) and then “Album Settings (edit my account settings)” Change the default “public” to “private”. Choose a password to give guests if you want to give them full access and then and click “Save”.

Here’s one of my babies from Photobucket. Couple of clicks and badabing… I love this stuff! It’s what the Internet was meant for…..any questions?

Mike

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
From all of us newbies let me just say THANX couldn't for the life of me figure out why my pictures were thumbnailed at the bottom and all the others were smack dab in the middle of the post. flanman

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could the Picture Primer be Posted Under FAQ?

Could the Picture Primer be Posted Under FAQ? This is a very helpful thread.-Well Done!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Google Picasa

Google Picasa 3 is another hurdle !!!. I'd appreciate some info on posting pictures onto the Colt forum..
Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't posted any pics yet, but wanted to throw this out.

On other Forums, I have found there to be some communication errors when I post a pic while in Firefox (instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer).

The pic will cause all the text in the thread to run off the right side of the page. It makes it hard to read.

Does that happen on this forum?

·
Registered
5 Posts
droark

Well I too want to thank you for all this, Can't say's how it seems easy just yet but the way you've said it might be the ticket I need. Over in another forum I was told I needed this very thing but I couldn't figure our the ins and outs. I've yet to try your step by step, but that'll be shortly. Questions first----will the pics I'll be posting after I've conquored this be as large as the one above that you've posted as an example, Or will they be postage stamp sized that need to be clicked on for enlargment? Or will I have options. My reason for asking, My grandson posted 3 pictures for me on that forum and they were shown side by side in a very small space. The reader just needed to click one for it to grow as big as the one you show in the sample.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mine's better

Picture in post 101:
1) Create a folder on your desktop called “E-Mail Pics” or something similar. This is where you keep your 200K-300K sized pictures for uploading. If the picture is already small go to step 6.
2) Make another folder called “Hi Res Pics” or something. This is where you put the high resolution pictures from your camera. Now upload your high res camera pictures here.
3) Right click on a picture from “High Res” and drag it to “E-Mail Pics”, then select “copy here”.
4) Open “E-Mail Pics” and right click on a picture. Select “open with” then select “paint shop”.
5) Click on “resize” and reduce the number (100) in the percentage box by whatever amount necessary to make the size around 200k-300k. My camera is set at 3264x2448 and usually makes nice pics at 3 meg or so. Changing the percent to 25 is just right. Left click the drop down box in the upper left and select “save as”. Select the E-Mail Pics folder from the desktop in the big window, change the file name to whatever you want and click save. Or you can just click save and overwrite the picture copy in the e-mail pic folder if you‘re sure you got it right. Now you have a post able picture.
6) Go to your photo bucket account (if you don’t have one get one) and upload the 2-300k pic and click save. Click “ my gallerys”. Hover over the pic in your gallery and left click on “IMG code” at the bottom of the box that drops down , it will say “copied”.
7) Go to the post/reply screen and right click in the text plane, select “paste” and the picture link will be typed. Hit “enter” a couple of times and type in the text. You can also write text first, paste the IMG code and then write some more if you want the pic in the middle.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,774 Posts
For those of you using Photobucket to load your pictures you may want to know that they have just (March 1st) changed there format somewhat and you will see a different look. In order to make it easier to use I made files for each of the subjects so I didn't have to scroll through all of my photo's. When doing this you will end up with a broken link which will remove any photo's from previous post that you have made. It will be necessary for you to reload them if you still want them posted. This change has caused quite a stir amongst those using Photobucket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mike, followed your directions for Photobucket and you really made it very easy to get photos on, never would have gotten it. One more quick question, how do I subscribe to your posts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.