Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up new 4\" Python.

Today I picked up my 1961 Python serial no. 14XXX. When I got it home and looked at it in the sunlight I noticed the barrel was slightly plum colored as compared to the rest of the gun which is more normal looking blue. I don't think the gun has been reblued unless just the barrel was redone but it must have been done extremely carefully because the plumness under the bluing stops abrubtly and sharply at the barrel to frame junction. It also seems highly unlikely to me that the gun has been re-barreled as the fit is factory perfect and the cylinder gap is also perfect, not to mention the barrel is the correct type with the hollow underlug. Can it be that the metal for the barrel was cut from different bar stock or something? Anyone else notice differen't blue colorations on old revolvers?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Picked up new 4\" Python.

Thanks for the info A1A. Are revolovers originally, at least as far as the barrels and frames go, blued after being joined together or before the barrels are threaded in? My guess is that the frames and barrels at least are already put together and then the crane and cylinder, cylinder latch and other moving parts are done separate. But I could be wrong. Did a search on plum but didn't see anything about the barrel of a Python only becoming plum. However, I guess I can see how it could possibly have happened from what I did read. I wonder if when I have it reblued if the color will be more uniform?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Re: Picked up new 4\" Python.

"normally" they are together. Extra parts (spares) will be blued on their own. Otherwise too many "handling/tool marks" etc will take place.
As for the colors, same solution, different parts will come out different colors due to hardness, metal content (alloy) and heat treat. Colt and S&W do a much better job of "control" than the others and have used "better" quality of metals too,so will come out more uniform.
Ruger on the other hand ,because the parts are mostly "cast" there is more likelihood "defects"(plum or red/maroon) colors. Bright light , especially sunlight will make these colors MORE apparent.
Yes, we have seen Colts with 'plum' parts.

You must keep in mind that many times this can be a sign that a gun was "re-blued" and that many gunshops do NOT have the control or take the time and temperature can and will affect the metal outcome, especially in chrome -moly steels or any alloy with a higher 'nickel ' content.
For example look at some redone Winchesters that have 'nickel' steel in the construction and you will "see" red/plum colors, same for old single shot shot guns with the 'cast' receivers.

My experience has seen more guns (revolvers) with the barrels being 'darker'in color.

Yes, your gun "may/could" have been rebarreled at one time, only a "letter" would answer that question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts