Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired this 1981 Python, Obviously missing frame, My question is do think I could ever find a frame and build a shooter which I know might be asking to much, Or should I just part out and try to make a few bucks to put towards buying another Colt, I think most everything is here except the Bolt and maybe a screw or spring. Looks to be very lightly used as the barrel is nice and shiny and cylinder has very faint turn line, Sorry for the quick pic
Revolver

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,981 Posts
Revolvers are "different" then automatics.
Automatic pistol parts can usually be installed with little fitting for just about everything other then the hammer and sear.

Revolver parts are almost all hand fitted and adjusted, and no revolver was more hand fitted and adjusted then the actions like the Python. Master fitters hand stoned and even bent parts to get a fit, then did more fitting to get the highly tuned Python action.

Point is, once the parts are fitted to a frame, they almost never fit another unless it's blind luck.
I've seen people try to build revolvers from S&W police guns that the frame was scrapped.
They'd manage to find a frame somewhere, but in almost all cases they had to buy more parts to get a fit on some.
It just never seemed to work out and the guns were seldom in proper working order.

In the case of a Python or other older type of Colt, it just isn't going to work.
My advice is to sell the parts one part at a time on Ebay or Gunbroker.com. You'll make enough money to to make a significant down payment on a good Python.
I'd even pull the front sight and pins and sell them separately. The barrel, cylinder assembly, hand, hammer, trigger, and bolt will bring the most.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
The spring should bring a bit as well I would think.
Revolvers are "different" then automatics.
Automatic pistol parts can usually be installed with little fitting for just about everything other then the hammer and sear.

Revolver parts are almost all hand fitted and adjusted, and no revolver was more hand fitted and adjusted then the actions like the Python. Master fitters hand stoned and even bent parts to get a fit, then did more fitting to get the highly tuned Python action.

Point is, once the parts are fitted to a frame, they almost never fit another unless it's blind luck.
I've seen people try to build revolvers from S&W police guns that the frame was scrapped.
They'd manage to find a frame somewhere, but in almost all cases they had to buy more parts to get a fit on some.
It just never seemed to work out and the guns were seldom in proper working order.

In the case of a Python or other older type of Colt, it just isn't going to work.
My advice is to sell the parts one part at a time on Ebay or Gunbroker.com. You'll make enough money to to make a significant down payment on a good Python.
I'd even pull the front sight and pins and sell them separately. The barrel, cylinder assembly, hand, hammer, trigger, and bolt will bring the most.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If you buy a blue Python and say you gotta great deal on a 4" but don't like the 4" you may want to hold on to the barrel to have it changed to a 6". Personally, I don't think you will ever need those parts on another gun unless you buy one damaged. You may be able to use the cylinder and ejector to I'd timing on a bad revolver but the internal parts have been stoned and may not fit any other gun. Main spring is always good to have extra.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Keep the 2 pin barrel and look for an older Python (before they went to 1 pin to hold the front sight on) and sell the rest. It will save you a great deal of headaches. Buy an intact Python in mechanically sound shape. You won't be sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts